Austin County, Texas
|Austin County, Texas|
The Austin County Courthouse in Bellville
Location in the U.S. state of Texas
Texas's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Stephen F. Austin|
|• Total||656 sq mi (1,699 km2)|
|• Land||647 sq mi (1,676 km2)|
|• Water||9.9 sq mi (26 km2), 1.5%|
|• Density||44/sq mi (17/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Austin County is a county in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 28,417. Its seat is Bellville. The county is named for Stephen F. Austin, who facilitated the Anglo American colonization of Texas and is known as the "Father of Texas."
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Politics
- 4 Education
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Communities
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
- Washington County (north)
- Waller County (east)
- Fort Bend County (southeast)
- Wharton County (south)
- Colorado County (west)
- Fayette County (northwest)
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 23,590 people, 8,747 households, and 6,481 families residing in the county. The population density was 36 people per square mile (14/km²). There were 10,205 housing units at an average density of 16 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 80.22% White, 10.64% Black or African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 6.99% from other races, and 1.58% from two or more races. 16.13% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 26.9% were of German, 8.8% American, 8.0% Czech, 6.4% English and 5.0% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 8,747 households out of which 34.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.60% were married couples living together, 9.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.90% were non-families. 22.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the county, the population was spread out with 27.00% under the age of 18, 8.10% from 18 to 24, 26.40% from 25 to 44, 23.70% from 45 to 64, and 14.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 96.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $38,615, and the median income for a family was $46,342. Males had a median income of $32,455 versus $22,142 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,140. About 8.80% of families and 12.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.70% of those under age 18 and 14.40% of those age 65 or over.
United States Congress
|Senate||John Cornyn||Republican||2002||Senior Senator|
|Senate||Ted Cruz||Republican||2012||Junior Senator|
|Representatives||Name||Party||First elected||Area(s) of Austin County represented|
|District 10||Michael McCaul||Republican||2004||Entire county|
Texas House of Representatives
Austin County Courthouse
The following school districts serve Austin County:
- Bellville Independent School District
- Brazos Independent School District (partial)
- Brenham Independent School District (partial)
- Columbus Independent School District (partial)
- Sealy Independent School District
- List of museums in the Texas Gulf Coast
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Austin County, Texas
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "Texas Almanac: Population History of Counties from 1850–2010" (PDF). Texas Almanac. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- TxDoT, TTC Section C & S, Detailed Map 2, 2007-12-17
|Wikisource has the text of an 1879 American Cyclopædia article about Austin County, Texas.|
- Austin County website
- Austin County, Texas from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Austin County from the Texas Almanac
- Austin County from the TXGenWeb Project
- Historic Austin County materials, hosted by the Portal to Texas History.
||Fayette County||Washington County|
|Colorado County||Waller County|
|Wharton County||Fort Bend County|