Howard in 2014
|No. 77 Oakland Raiders|
|Date of birth:||March 22, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Davenport, Iowa|
|Height:||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Weight:||330 lb (150 kg)|
|High school:||Davenport (IA) Central|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2014|
Austin Howard (born March 22, 1987) is an American football offensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He played college football at Northern Iowa.
On December 1, 2007 in a game against the Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens, Howard caught a touchdown pass from Eric Sanders to bring the Panthers within five points of Delaware, but the Blue Hens ended up winning the game, 39–27. He started in all 13 games at tight end in 2007. He made five receptions for 38 yards.
Howard made the switch from tight end to offensive tackle during the 2008 offseason. He earned MVFC offensive lineman of the week honors following a game against Missouri State on November 8, 2008.
Howard was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent following the 2010 NFL Draft on April 27, 2010. He made the 53-man roster and played in four games, starting at left tackle in one game. Howard made his NFL debut on October 24, 2010 against the Tennessee Titans.
In order to better fit into new offensive line coach Howard Mudd's system, Howard lost about 15 pounds to get down to 330 pounds. However, he was waived during final roster cuts on September 3, 2011.
New York Jets
Howard signed a five-year, $30 million contract with the Oakland Raiders on March 12, 2014. On September 7, 2014, Howard made his first career start at right guard, as well as his Oakland Raiders debut against the New York Jets.
On September 14, 2014, against the Houston Texans, Howard (started at right guard) and his offense gained 364 total yards, and the offensive line did not allow a sack for the first time this season. On September 21, 2014, against the New England Patriots, Howard and his offensive line prevented a sack for the second straight game. On October 12, 2014, against the San Diego Chargers, Howard and his offense gained a season high 396 total yards and the offensive line did not allow a sack for the third time this season. On October 26, 2014, against the Cleveland Browns, Howard and his offense gained 387 yards, which included quarterback Derek Carr's first career 300+ yards passing game. On November 9, 2014, against the Denver Broncos, Howard and his offensive line that allowed zero sacks for the fourth time in the 2014 season. On November 20, 2014, against the Kansas City Chiefs, Howard and his offense paved the way for a season high 179 rushing yards, which included running back Latavius Murray's first career 100+ yards rushing game. On December 7, 2014, against the San Francisco 49ers, Howard and his offense gained 330 total yards, which included quarterback Derek Carr posting a season-high quarterback rating of 140.2.
On December 19, 2015, Howard was placed on Injured Reserve with a knee injury.
- "Austin Howard, OT for the Oakland Raiders at NFL.com". NFL.com. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "UNI Hosts #12 Iowa, UMKC This Week". CSTV. December 6, 2005. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Newhoff, Doug (February 3, 2005). "Panthers get some insurance". The Courier. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Coss, Matt (December 23, 2005). "Scouts study Jacobson, Stout gets blocks record in UNI win". The Courier. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Schmidt, Kent (December 1, 2007). "Flacco Leads Delaware In Upset of No. 1 UNI". CSTV. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- "Newcomers to UNI offensive line face heavy burden". The Courier. August 22, 2008. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Doxsie, Don (September 3, 2009). "UNI lineman hopes family's mark vs. Iowa remains perfect He also has two older sisters,, Amy Howard and Ashley Howard. Both of his sisters reside in Thornton, Colorado.". The Courier. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Sullivan, Jim (August 10, 2008). "Farley pleased with Panthers' first week of practice". The Courier. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Sullivan, Jim (November 11, 2008). "Farley fusses over playoff talk". The Courier. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- "UNI's Ruffin named MVFC co-defensive player of year". The Courier. November 25, 2009. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- McLane, Jeff (April 27, 2010). "Eagles add 11 rookies - 3 of them big blockers". philly.com. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- McLane, Jeff (July 9, 2011). "Eagles' Howard working to stay fit, working for a roster spot". philly.com. Retrieved 2011-07-10.
- Jets Media Relations Department (November 25, 2011). "T Howard Signed to Practice Squad". New York Jets. Archived from the original on November 27, 2011. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- "Jets Right Tackle Wayne Hunter Benched; Austin Howard To Replace Him As Starter". CBS News New York. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Wesseling, Chris (March 12, 2014). "Austin Howard, Oakland Raiders strike five-year deal". National Football League. Archived from the original on March 12, 2014. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "Jets-Raiders: 9 Things to Know". www.newyorkjets.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Texans vs. Raiders - Team Statistics - September 14, 2014 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Raiders vs. Patriots - Box Score - September 21, 2014 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Chargers vs. Raiders - Team Statistics - October 12, 2014 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Raiders vs. Browns - Team Statistics - October 26, 2014 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Broncos vs. Raiders - Box Score - November 9, 2014 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Chiefs vs. Raiders - Team Statistics - November 20, 2014 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "49ers vs. Raiders - Game Recap - December 7, 2014 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Austin Howard placed on season ending injured reserve, Tevin McDonald activated". Silver And Black Pride. Retrieved 2015-12-20.