|Boston Red Sox – No. 62|
Born: May 13, 1991|
|June 17, 2017, for the Boston Red Sox|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||0.52|
Austin Dean Maddox (born May 13, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Boston Red Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He both bats and throws right-handed, and is listed at 6 feet 2 inches (1.88 m) and 220 pounds (100 kg).
Maddox graduated from high school in 2009 as the top catcher in the state of Florida, having batted .544 in his senior year. He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 37th round of the 2009 MLB Draft, but he did not sign. Instead, he played college baseball at the University of Florida, where he was teammates with future MLB catcher Mike Zunino. Initially a catcher and infielder, Maddox batted .303 in his three seasons with the Gators (2010–2012). In 2011 and 2012, he made a total of 53 appearances as a pitcher, striking out 78 and walking 14 in 82 1⁄3 innings, while compiling a 1.86 earned run average (ERA).
Minor League Baseball
From 2012 through 2015, Maddox played in the lower levels of Boston's farm system; the Rookie League Gulf Coast League Red Sox, the Class A Short Season Lowell Spinners, the Class A Greenville Drive, and the Class A-Advanced Salem Red Sox. During 2016, he was promoted to the Double-A Portland Sea Dogs and then the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox. In 2017, he again played in Portland and Pawtucket, and was called up to the majors for the first time on June 15.
During six year in the minors, 2012 through 2017, Maddox appeared in 143 games, pitching 261 1⁄3 innings with a 13–18 record, 4.27 ERA, and 1.282 WHIP, while recording 227 strikeouts, 83 walks, and 25 saves.
Major League Baseball
Boston Red Sox
Maddox made his MLB debut on June 17, 2017, pitching the seventh inning in a Red Sox loss to the Houston Astros; he retired the side without allowing a baserunner. He appeared in one more game in June, one game in July, and then ten games during September. He finished the regular season with 13 appearances for the 2017 Red Sox, allowing just one earned run in 17 1⁄3 innings pitched (0.52 ERA), with 14 strikeouts and two walks.
Maddox was included on Boston's postseason roster for the 2017 American League Division Series. He made two one-inning appearances against the Houston Astros, allowing one earned run (4.50 ERA), with two strikeouts and two walks, as the Red Sox lost to the eventual World Series champions.
Due to shoulder inflammation during spring training, Maddox began the 2018 Boston Red Sox season on the disabled list. He was sent on rehabilitation assignments with Triple-A Pawtucket on May 18, Double-A Portland on May 30, and Pawtucket again on June 2. On July 8, he was transferred to the 60-day disabled list. On August 16, Maddox was sent on a rehabilitation assignment with the Gulf Coast League Red Sox, and on August 24 with Triple-A Pawtucket. On September 19, Maddox had surgery on his right rotator cuff after missing the entire 2018 season with what was described as a right shoulder strain.
- "Austin Maddox - Florida Gators". floridagators.com. 2011. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Aschoff, Edward (May 7, 2010). "Austin powers Gator baseball". The Gainesville Sun.
- Killian, Timothy (June 27, 2012). "Red Sox Sign Newly Drafted Pitchers Brian Johnson, Austin Maddox". NESN.
- "Red Sox Place Brian Johnson On DL With Shoulder Impingement". WBZ-TV. June 15, 2017.
- "Houston Astros 7, Boston Red Sox 1". Retrosheet. June 17, 2017. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- "The 2017 BOS A Regular Season Pitching Log for Austin Maddox". Retrosheet. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- McCaffrey, Jen (June 24, 2017). "Boston Red Sox ALDS roster announced: Deven Marrero, Brock Holt, Austin Maddox make the cut". masslive.com. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- "Red Sox's Austin Maddox: Begins season on DL". CBS Sports. March 29, 2018. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. May 2018. Retrieved May 31, 2018.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. June 2018. Retrieved June 2, 2018.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. July 2018. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. August 2018. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "Minor Notes: Maddox has surgery; can free agency be changed?". SoxProspects.com. September 24, 2018. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- "April 25 to May 25, 2014 Arrests – Wake Forest Police Blotter". Wake Forest News. May 27, 2014.