|Born||March 16, 1922|
|Died||November 12, 2012(aged 90)|
|Known for||Aerial photography of the mountains glaciers of North America|
Austin S. Post (16 March 1922 – 12 November 2012) was a photographer, glaciologist, and mountaineer known for his aerial photography of the mountains and glaciers of North America, particularly the North Cascades of Washington and Glacier Bay, Alaska.
Post worked for many years as a research scientist for the United States Geological Survey and was awarded an honorary degree from the University of Alaska-Fairbanks in 2004, despite not having graduated from high school. Many of his photographs are used in the Cascade Alpine Guide books by Fred Beckey. Post names Bradford Washburn as a photographic influence. He lived on Vashon Island, Washington.
- Post, Austin; Don Richardson; Wendell V. Tangborn; F. L. Rosselot (1971). Geological Survey Professional Paper 705—A: Inventory of Glaciers in the North Cascades, Washington. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- Brugman, Melinda M.; Austin Post (1981). USGS Circular 850-D: Effects of Volcanism on the Glaciers of Mount St. Helens. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 7 March 2007.
- Post, Austin; LaChapelle, Edward R. (2000) . Glacier Ice (2nd ed.). University of Washington Press. ISBN 0-295-97910-0.
- First ascent of the Southeast Ridge of the White Princess, Eastern Alaska Range, 1950, Austin Post, Gottfried Ehrenburg, Don MacAskill, Lawrence E. Nielsen
- "Austin S. Post Obituary." The New York Times, 29 November 2012.
- Scurlock, John (2007). "Austin Post: Legendary Chronicler of Glaciers". Northwest Mountaineering Journal (4). Archived from the original on 25 September 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Vashon Island scientist's lifelong love affair with glaciers". Seattle Times. 21 July 2004. Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- Beckey, Fred (2000) . Columbia River to Stevens Pass. Cascade Alpine Guide. 1 (3rd ed.). Seattle, Washington: Mountaineers Books. ISBN 0-89886-577-8.
- Beckey, Fred (2003) . Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass. Cascade Alpine Guide. 2 (3rd ed.). Seattle, Washington: Mountaineers Books. ISBN 0-89886-152-7.
- Beckey, Fred (1995) . Rainy Pass to Fraser River. Cascade Alpine Guide. 3 (2nd ed.). Seattle, Washington: Mountaineers Books. ISBN 0-89886-423-2.
- Nielsen, Lawrence E. (1952). "Eastern Alaska Range". American Alpine Journal: 362–364. ISSN 0065-6925.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Austin Post.|
- Austin Post[permanent dead link] at the USGS Publications Warehouse
- Austin Post at the USGS Photographic Library
|This article about an American photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|