|Alma mater||Lancaster University, University of Edinburgh|
|Known for||AI Planning, Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Worlds|
|Institutions||University of Edinburgh|
|Thesis||Using Goal Structure to Direct Search in a Problem Solver (1975)|
|Doctoral advisor||Donald Michie|
|Doctoral students||Carla Gomes|
Austin Tate is Professor of Knowledge-based systems at the University of Edinburgh. He is Director of AIAI (Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute) in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh. He is known for his contributions to AI Planning, applications of Artificial Intelligence, and work on collaborative systems in Virtual Worlds.
- Born 12 May 1951, Knottingley, West Yorkshire, UK
- Married 14 July 1975 to Margaret (née Mowbray) at Knottingley, West Yorkshire, UK
- B.A. (Hons) Computer Studies, Lancaster University, 1969-1972
- PhD in Machine Intelligence, University of Edinburgh, supervised by Donald Michie, 1972-1975
- MSc in e-Learning, University of Edinburgh, 2011-2012
- 1993 – Fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (FAAAI)
- 1998 – Fellow of the Workflow Management Coalition (WfMC)
- 1999 – Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE)
- 1999 – Fellow of the European Association for Artificial Intelligence (EurAI)
- 2000 – Fellow of the British Computer Society (FBCS)
- 2006 – Fellow of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour (SSAISB)
- 2012 – Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng)
- Tate, A. (1977) Generating Project Networks, Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-77), pp. 888–893, Cambridge, MA, USA, Morgan Kaufmann. 
- Currie, K.; Tate, A. (1991). "O-Plan: The open planning architecture". Artificial Intelligence. 52: 49–86. doi:10.1016/0004-3702(91)90024-E.
- Tate, A., Levine, J., Dalton, J. and Nixon, A. (2003) Task Achieving Agents on the World Wide Web, in "Spinning the Semantic Web" (Fensel, D., Hendler, J., Liebermann, H. and Wahlster, W.), Chapter 15, pp. 431–458, MIT Press, 2003.
- Tate, A. (2006). "The "Helpful Environment": Geographically Dispersed Intelligent Agents That Collaborate". IEEE Intelligent Systems. 21 (3): 57–61. doi:10.1109/MIS.2006.61.
- Tate, A.; Chen-Burger, Y. H.; Dalton, J.; Potter, S.; Richardson, D.; Stader, J.; Wickler, G.; Bankier, I.; Walton, C.; Williams, P. (2010). "I-Room: A Virtual Space for Intelligent Interaction". IEEE Intelligent Systems. 25 (4): 62–71. doi:10.1109/MIS.2010.5.
- Other Publications: O-Plan Papers, I-X Papers
- http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/ Austin Tate's website
- Research: AIAI Planning and Activity Management Group website
- AI Planners: Traverser, Interplan, Nonlin, O-Plan, I-X/I-Plan
- Example Projects: AKT (Advanced Knowledge Technologies), CoAX (Coalition Agents eXperiment), FireGrid, OpenKnowledge, I-Room, OpenVCE
- Virtual World Avatar: Ai Austin's website
- Interests: Austin Tate's Gerry Anderson Web Area, Supercar, Fireball XL5