|Born||12 May 1951|
Knottingley, West Yorkshire, England
|Alma mater||Lancaster University (BSc)|
University of Edinburgh (MSc, PhD)
|Known for||AI Planning|
|Awards||AAAI Fellow (1993)|
|Institutions||University of Edinburgh|
|Thesis||Using Goal Structure to Direct Search in a Problem Solver (1975)|
|Doctoral advisor||Donald Michie|
|Doctoral students||Carla Gomes|
Austin Tate FREng FRSE is Emeritus Professor of Knowledge-based systems in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh. From 1985 to 2019 he was Director of AIAI (Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute) in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh.
He is known for his contributions to AI Planning, applications of Artificial Intelligence, and work on collaborative systems in Virtual Worlds.
Early life and education
Tate was born 12 May 1951, Knottingley, West Yorkshire, UK. He completed his B.A. (Hons) Computer Studies, Lancaster University, 1969-1972. He completed his postgraduate study in Machine Intelligence at University of Edinburgh, supervised by Donald Michie, 1972-1975 and a Master of Science degree in e-Learning at the University of Edinburgh, 2011-2012.
Research and career
Tate's research interests are in Artificial intelligence.
- Tate, A. (1977) Generating Project Networks, Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-77), pp. 888–893, Cambridge, MA, USA, Morgan Kaufmann.
- Currie, K.; Tate, A. (1991). "O-Plan: The open planning architecture". Artificial Intelligence. 52: 49–86. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.26.2844. doi:10.1016/0004-3702(91)90024-E. S2CID 943552.
- Tate, A., Levine, J., Dalton, J. and Nixon, A. (2003) Task Achieving Agents on the World Wide Web, in "Spinning the Semantic Web" (Fensel, D., Hendler, J., Liebermann, H. and Wahlster, W.), Chapter 15, pp. 431–458, MIT Press, 2003.
- Tate, A. (2006). "The "Helpful Environment": Geographically Dispersed Intelligent Agents That Collaborate". IEEE Intelligent Systems. 21 (3): 57–61. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.62.8806. doi:10.1109/MIS.2006.61. S2CID 25195858.
- Tate, A.; Chen-Burger, Y. H.; Dalton, J.; Potter, S.; Richardson, D.; Stader, J.; Wickler, G.; Bankier, I.; Walton, C.; Williams, P. (2010). "I-Room: A Virtual Space for Intelligent Interaction" (PDF). IEEE Intelligent Systems. 25 (4): 62–71. doi:10.1109/MIS.2010.5. hdl:20.500.11820/031ec5f0-40f6-45c6-a7f6-a0a4ebe12b7c. S2CID 6699929.
- Other Publications: O-Plan Papers, I-X Papers
Honours and awards
Tate's awards and honours include:
- 1993 – Elected AAAI Fellow
- 1998 – Fellow of the Workflow Management Coalition (WfMC)
- 1999 – Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE)
- 1999 – Fellow of the European Association for Artificial Intelligence (EurAI)
- 2000 – Fellow of the British Computer Society (FBCS)
- 2006 – Fellow of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour (SSAISB)
- 2012 – Elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng)
He was married in 1975 to Margaret (née Mowbray) at Knottingley, West Yorkshire, England.
- ^ a b Austin Tate publications indexed by Google Scholar
- ^ "List of RAEng Fellows". raeng.org.uk. Royal Academy of Engineering. Archived from the original on 8 June 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- ^ "List of RSE Fellows". rse.org.uk. Royal Society of Edinburgh. 21 June 2016.
- ^ ""University of Edinburgh Senatus 13 May 2020". www.ed.ac.uk. University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- ^ "Austin Tate". aiai.ed.ac.uk. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- ^ a b c d "Tate, Prof. Austin Tate". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. Vol. 2015. A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 14 April 2019. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- ^ Tate, Austin (9 March 1977). "Generating Project Networks". Ijcai'77. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc. pp. 888–893. Retrieved 9 March 2019 – via ACM Digital Library.
- Research: AIAI Planning and Activity Management Group website
- AI Planners: Traverser, Interplan, Nonlin, O-Plan, I-X/I-Plan
- Example Projects: AKT (Advanced Knowledge Technologies), CoAX (Coalition Agents eXperiment), FireGrid, OpenKnowledge, I-Room, OpenVCE
- Virtual World Avatar: Ai Austin's website
- Interests: Austin Tate's Gerry Anderson Web Area, Supercar, Fireball XL5
- 1951 births
- People from Knottingley
- Living people
- Artificial intelligence researchers
- Alumni of Lancaster University
- Alumni of the University of Edinburgh
- Academics of the University of Edinburgh
- Fellows of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
- British computer scientists
- Fellows of the British Computer Society
- Fellows of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence
- Fellows of the SSAISB
- Fellows of the European Association for Artificial Intelligence