Austintown Township, Mahoning County, Ohio
|Austintown Township, Mahoning County, Ohio|
Location of Austintown Township in Mahoning County
|• Total||26.3 sq mi (68.1 km2)|
|• Land||24.8 sq mi (64.2 km2)|
|• Water||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,138 ft (347 m)|
|• Density||1,499/sq mi (578.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086555|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Weathersfield Township, Trumbull County - north
- Liberty Township, Trumbull County - northeast corner
- Youngstown - east
- Boardman Township - southeast corner
- Canfield Township - south
- Ellsworth Township - southwest corner
- Jackson Township - west
- Lordstown - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Austintown Township, although two census-designated places are located there: Austintown in the east (with 44% of the township's area and 81% of its population), and part of Mineral Ridge in the north.
The Meander Creek Reservoir occupies the western portion of the township. Ax Factory Run creek flows west to east through central portion of the township with Woodside Lake forming a section of the creek.
Name and history
It is the only Austintown Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Austintown township, Mahoning County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.