Australia was the fourth country, and the first in the developed world, to recognise Bangladesh's independence in 1971. A high commission was opened in Dhaka and relations have been warm since then.
Trade and investment
Australian Oil and Gas company Santos is a major investor in Bangladesh's Natural Resources sector. In 2014 trade between the two countries crossed AUD 1 billion mark of which 450 million came from Bangladesh's exports to Australia. Australia enjoying a surplus of AUD 160 million dollar on trade.
High Commissioner of Bangladesh in Australia is Kazi Imtiaz Hossain as of 2015. Previous high commissioner was Lieutenant General (retired) Masud Uddin Chowdhury. VFS Global collects applications for Australian Visa in Bangladesh. Greg Wilcock is the Australian High Commissioner in Bangladesh.
Defense and security cooperation
Australia and Bangladesh are one of the few countries that provide the option of third gender on their passports. Australia Bangladesh Solidarity Network is a human rights organisation working for the garment workers in Bangladesh.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Relations of Australia and Bangladesh.|
- "Bangladesh country brief". Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Australia). Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- Verrender, Ian; Frazer, Simon. "Santos books $1.6 billion hit after asset writedown". ABC News. Sydney. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Australia-Bangladesh trade grows". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Welcome message". Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- Karim, Rezaul. "3 new diplomatic missions soon". The Daily Star. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Apply for VISA to Australia In Bangladesh". vfsglobal.com. Archived from the original on 6 July 2015. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Message from the Australian High Commissioner to Bangladesh". Australian High Commission, Bangladesh. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Hamal, Chadani. "Nepal, US armies to hold joint military exercise". Nepal Republic Media. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "16 nations to participate in India Navy's MILAN 2014". The Economic Times. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Watson leads Australia to victory over Bangladesh". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Lemon, Geoff. "Australia v Bangladesh: World Twenty20 – as it happened". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Germany allows third gender option on birth certificates". Al Jazeera America. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Small, Jerome. "Murder not tragedy". Red Flag. Socialist Alternative. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Australia
- Australian High Commission in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Embassy in Australia
Media related to Relations of Australia and Bangladesh at Wikimedia Commons