In the 1890s, there were no trade between Australia and Denmark, so in the 1920s, the Danes in Australia formed the Danish-Australian Chamber of Commerce to import products from Denmark such as Tuborg, Junket and Hirschsprung cigars. On 1 May 1952, an agreement on visas was signed in Canberra.
In 2010, both countries made a deal to ship 6,100 ton hexachlorobenzene waste from Australia to Denmark. Greenpeace protested outside the Australian environment ministry to show their opposition to the shipment of Hexachlorobenzene from Australia. On 23 December 2010, Danish Minister of Environment Karen Ellemann cancelled the deal because of the pressure.
In 2008, trade between Australia and Denmark amounted $1,19 billion. In 2009, Danish export to Australia amounted 4,8 billion DKK and Australian export amounted 697 million DKK. In 2008, Danish investments in Australia was 6,6 billion DKK.
On 1 February 1987, Danish Queen Margrethe II visited Australia. In December 2009, during the 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference, Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd visited Denmark. On 17 August 2010, Princess Mary of Denmark visited Tasmania, her Australian state of origin. Princess Mary, although a Danish citizen due to her marriage to Crown Prince Frederik, was born and raised in the Australian state of Tasmania. It is this royal connection between the two countries that has had the most effect to their respective citizens' interests in their bilateral ties, particularly in Australia's media coverage of Denmark-Australian relations and Danish royalty. News on Danish royal affairs are common in Australia.
- Government of Australia. "Australian embassy in Copenhagen, Denmark". Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Archived from the original on 14 May 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- Government of Denmark. "Danish embassy in Canberra, Australia". Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Denmark). Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- Jens Sorensen Lyng (1939). The Scandinavians in Australia, New Zealand and the Western Pacific. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- Treaty series 301. United Nations. 1958. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- Australian foreign affairs record 56. Australia. Dept. of Foreign Affairs. 1985. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Australia under fire over toxic waste shipment". ABC News Canada. 3 November 2010. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Danish ban puts local union in a bind over loading toxic waste" (PDF). The Sydney Morning Herald. PRO Herben H.F.B. 27 November 2010. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Denmark takes Australia's toxic waste". Big Pond News. 16 June 2010. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Karen Ellemann stopper kemi-transport". B.T. (tabloid). 23 December 2010. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Australian and Danish Trading on the Move". Enspiro. July 2009. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Landefakta Australien". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (in Danish). WayBack Machine. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Government og Australia. "Denmark country brief". Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "The Royal Visit to Australia in March 2004 was a success". Danish Church Australia (in Danish). Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Rudd to visit Japan en route to Denmark". The Sydney Morning Herald. 11 December 2009. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Fotogrfer må ikke filme Mary i Australien". DR. 17 August 2010. Retrieved 2 April 2011.