Australia (The Shins song)
|Single by The Shins|
|from the album Wincing the Night Away|
|Released||9 April 2007|
|The Shins singles chronology|
|Wincing the Night Away track listing|
"Australia" is a song by American indie rock band The Shins, and is the second track on their third album, Wincing the Night Away. The song was released as the second single from that album in the United Kingdom on 9 April 2007.
All three versions of the single are currently available on the United Kingdom iTunes. It is one of the songs on the soundtrack of the Xbox 360 game Project Gotham Racing 4 and was also released as downloadable content for the Rock Band video game series through the Rock Band Network.
The lyrics of the song have many interpretations. Despite its name, the song's lyrics do not reference Australia at all.
"Australia" was well received by critics. Pitchfork Media wrote that "'Australia' is a peppy rocker in the spirit of Chutes' best, elevated by a newfound confidence and expressive range in Mercer's voice."
- "Girl Inform Me" (performed by Jeremy Warmsley)
- "Caring Is Creepy" (performed by Polytechnic)
- "Phantom Limb" (Radio 2 Session)
- "So Says I" (KCRW Session)
- "Sleeping Lessons" (The RAC Mix)
- "Saint Simon" (Radio 2 Live Version)
- "Girl on the Wing" (KCRW Session)
- James Mercer - vocals, guitar, bass, synthesizers, ukulele, banjo, cat piano
- Marty Crandall - organ
- Dave Hernadez - lead guitar
- Jesse Sandoval - drums
- "The Shins follow UK tour with new single". NME. UK. 28 February 2007. Archived from the original on 2 March 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2007.
- "The Shins Have Confirmed Their New Single". Angry Ape. 28 February 2007. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2007.
- "Australia" – The Shins // Rock Band Archived 15 March 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Shins: Wincing the Night Away". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- "The Shins: Wincing the Night Away". popmatters.com. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- "The Shins". chartstats.com. Retrieved 24 October 2010.