Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden
|Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden|
|Location||Port Augusta West|
|Area||250 hectares (620 acres)|
|Owned by||Port Augusta City Council|
The Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden is located on the Stuart Highway, 1.4 kilometres north of the Eyre Highway in Port Augusta West, South Australia. The garden was established in the 1980s and opened in September 1996. It is an initiative of the City of Port Augusta and corporate funding, and very limited state-government support.
The Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden was designed by the landscape architect, Grant Henderson. It features Australian and overseas plants from arid environments within its 250 hectares. Some of the aims of the Botanic Garden are to bring attention to arid-zone ecosystem conservation, draw attention to the economic significance of arid-zone agriculture and create a better understanding of the arid-zone environment amongst the general public.
The garden has an interpretive centre, cafe, gift shop, walking tracks and an eremophila garden. The eremophila garden contains around 155 different varieties, one of the largest collections of its kind. In 1988, a herbarium and meeting room for groups meetings and conferences was opened. The Botanic Garden is open 7 days a week, except Christmas Day, from 7:30 am to sunset.
- "Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden". City of Port Augusta. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "History of the Garden". Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden. Retrieved 2006-12-11.
- Edwina Richardson. "The Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden, Port Augusta, South Australia". aila.org.au. Australian Institute of Landscape Architects. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden". Australian National Botanic Gardens. Retrieved 2006-12-11.
- "Port Augusta City Council - Australian Arid Lands Botanic Gardens". portaugusta.sa.gov.au. Port Augusta City Council. Archived from the original on 16 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Map of the Eremophila Garden". Friends of the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden. 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden website
- The Friends of the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a garden in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|