Australian Banking Association
The Australian Banking Association (ABA), formerly the Australian Bankers' Association, is the trade association for the Australian banking industry. With its forebears going back to the late 1940s, the ABA was founded in 1985 and is based in Sydney, New South Wales. The ABA represents twenty four banks and provides analysis, advice and advocacy for the banking industry and contributes to the development of public policy on banking and other financial services.
The following served as Chairman of the Association:
|Order||Officeholder||Title||Bank||Term began||Term end||Time in office||Notes|
|Gail Kelly||Chairman||Westpac||4 December 2013||31 January 2015||1 year, 58 days|||
|Brian Hartzer||31 January 2015||2 December 2015||304 days|||
|Andrew Thorburn||NAB||2 December 2015||4 December 2017||2 years, 2 days|||
|Shayne Elliott||ANZ||4 December 2017||present||1 year, 167 days|||
Chief Executive Officers
The following served as Chief Executive Officers of the Association:
|Order||Officeholder||Title||Term began||Term end||Time in office||Notes|
|1||Tony Aveling||Chief Executive Officer||1997||2000||2–3 years|||
|2||Jeff Oughton||Acting Chief Executive Officer||April 2000||January 2001||275 days|
|3||David Bell||Chief Executive Officer||January 2001||8 March 2010||9 years, 66 days|
|4||Steven Münchenberg||8 March 2010||3 April 2017||7 years, 26 days|||
|5||Anna Bligh||17 February 2017||present||2 years, 47 days|||
- Banking in Australia
- Bank nationalisation in Australia
- Financial regulation in Australia
- Four pillars policy
- Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry
- Too big to fail
- "History". Australian Banking Association. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "The Australian Banking Association's role". Australian Banking Association. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "Westpac's Group CEO Gail Kelly elected Chairman of the Australian Bankers' Association" (Press release). Australian Bankers' Association. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Eyers, James (10 December 2014). "Westpac CEO Brian Hartzer appointed Australian Bankers' Association chairman". Financial Review. Australia. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "NAB CEO new Chairman of the Australian Bankers' Association" (Press release). Australian Bankers' Association. 2 December 2017. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Frost, James (16 October 2017). "Worst-kept secret revealed as ABA names ANZ's Elliott as chair". Financial Review. Australia. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Durie, John (4 December 2017). "ANZ's Shayne Elliott steps into banking's hot seat". The Australian. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Khoury, Phil (2006). "The history of Australian Banking: 1991 - 2006" (PDF). Banking in Australia Today. Australia. p. 24. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "NAB's Steven Munchenberg appointed chief executive of Australian Bankers Association". The Australian. 23 January 2010. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Shapiro, Jonathan (21 October 2016). "ABA chief executive Steve Münchenberg steps down". Financial Review. Australia. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Sier, Jessica (19 February 2017). "Major banks back Anna Bligh for ABA top job". Financial Review. Australia. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Silva, Kristian (17 February 2017). "Anna Bligh appointed as first female Australian Bankers' Association CEO". ABC News. Australia. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Whyte, Jemina (9 November 2017). "Can Australian Bankers' Association CEO Anna Bligh persuade us to trust banks?". Financial Review. Australia. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
|This article about a business, industry, or trade-related organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This bank and insurance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|