|Industry||Aerospace & Space, Defence, Security, Transport|
|Chris Jenkins (CEO Australia / New Zealand)|
|Revenue||A$ around 1 billion (2014) |
Number of employees
Thales Australia is best known for its naval ship repair operations, and currently leases the Captain Cook Graving Dock at Garden Island Naval Base in Sydney and also leases and occupies many of the buildings there. ADI's large site in St Marys in Western Sydney is progressively being repatriated for residential development with their munitions capability being consolidated in Benalla, Victoria and their testing facilities being sold to Vipac Engineers and Scientists. ADI manufactured the Steyr AUG based, F88 Austeyr assault rifle at Lithgow Small Arms Factory. ADI also produced a variety of smokeless powders for reloading rifle, pistol & shotgun cartridges, production of Australian armoured vehicles, such as the Bushmaster, Hawkei and producing Australian specific modifications to imported military vehicles.
ADI was based on Garden Island Naval Base in Sydney, though they also maintained a R&D/Custom production facility in Brisbane. In 2004 they applied to the Australian Equal Opportunities Commission to exclude workers of certain nationalities for security reasons.
In October 2006, the federal government allowed Transfield Holdings to sell their 50% shareholding in ADI to the Thales Group's Australian holdings, the Australian branch of the French military engineering firm. All ADI operations have been taken over by the company, which is now known as Thales Australia.
- "Thales Australia Corporate Presentation 26-03-10". Thales Australia. 26 March 2010. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- "Defence firm seeks to exclude workers based on nationality". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 2 September 2004. Archived from the original on 18 April 2008. Retrieved 4 August 2008.
- "Australia Gives Thales Green Light To Fully Acquire ADI". Defense News. 10 December 2006. Archived from the original on 21 January 2013. Retrieved 4 February 2008.
- Official website
- ADI/Thales Smokeless Powder Handloaders Guide
- Official RAN Anzac Frigate listing
- Thales Australia Bushmaster page[permanent dead link]
|This article about the military of Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Australian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|