Australian Goldfields Open
|Organisation(s)||World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association|
|Total prize fund||$500,000|
|Final champion(s)||John Higgins|
Australia had previously hosted the 1971 and 1975 World Snooker Championships, as well as several other high-profile snooker tournaments and in 1979 the Australian Masters was established. There was an attempt to turn the event into a ranking tournament in 1989 but the sponsorship fell through so it was staged in Hong Kong instead, as the Hong Kong Open, which incidentally became the first ranking tournament to be staged in Asia. The Hong Kong event was discontinued after just one year, but returned to Australia in 1994 as the Australian Open. The tournament reverted to being called the Australian Masters for the following season, but was dropped from the calendar after the 1995 event. In 2011 the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association resurrected the event under the Australian Goldfields Open name and added it to the 2011/2012 calendar. In 2016 the event was quietly dropped from the calendar.
- The finals were decided on aggregate score over three frames between 1979 and 1982 and five frames in 1987.
- Kalb, Rolf (29 June 2014). "Turnier-Infos: Australian Open" (in German). Eurosport Deutschland. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Turner, Chris. "Australian Masters". Chris Turner's Snooker Archive. Archived from the original on 20 September 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- Hayton, Eric (2004). The CueSport Book of Professional Snooker. Lowestoft: Rose Villa Publications. p. 31. ISBN 0-9548549-0-X.
- Turner, Chris. "Other Asia Ranking Events". Chris Turner's Snooker Archive. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Hayton, Eric (2004). The CueSport Book of Professional Snooker. Suffolk: Rose Villa Publications. pp. 165–167. ISBN 978-0-9548549-0-4.
- "Hall of Fame". Snooker.org. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- "Stuart Bingham beats Mark Williams 9-8 to win Australian Open". BBC Sport. 24 July 2011. Archived from the original on 13 June 2012. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- "Australian Goldfields Open (2012)". Snooker.org. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Australian Goldfields Open (2013)". Snooker.org. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Australian Goldfields Open (2014)". Snooker.org. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Australian Goldfields Open (2015)". Snooker.org. Retrieved 6 April 2015.