Australian Unemployed Workers' Union
|Full name||Australian Unemployed Workers' Union|
|Key people||Owen Bennett, President|
|Office location||Melbourne, Victoria|
The Australian Unemployed Workers' Union (AUWU) is a national volunteer organisation founded in 2014.
The AUWU was founded in 2014.
Australian forerunners to the AUWU include the Victorian Unemployed Workers' Union (UWU) circa 1977-1990, the Wollongong Out of Workers Union (WOW), and the depression-era organisations of the 1930s 
Membership is open to all (however, voting rights are limited to unemployed and under-employed members).
The AUWU operates a national hotline, and publishes a rights booklet and quarterly newsletter.
In the Media
2GB broadcaster Ben Fordham has publicly criticised the union, claiming it 'coaches people how to dodge responsibilities when it comes to work for the dole or finding a job...' AUWU member Ewen Kloas's response to this criticism was published by news.com.au.
In a statement to news.com.au, Liberal senator and Minister for Employment Michaelia Cash opined that, 'Australian taxpayers and indeed those looking for work would be offended by a "union" whose sole purpose appears to be keeping members out of gainful employment and encouraging them to shirk their responsibilities,' and added that the organisation needs to 'take a good hard look at itself.' 
- Wollongong Out of Workers Union
- Unemployed Councils
- Workers Alliance of America
- National Unemployed Workers' Movement
- Schneiders, Ben (18 October 2014). "Australian unemployment union wants to represent the out of work". Retrieved 14 July 2017 – via The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Fox, C 2000, Fighting Back : the politics of the unemployed in Victoria in the Great Depression, Melbourne University Press, Carlton South, VIC.
- Australian Unemployed Workers Union (14 May 2016). "AUWU President Owen Bennett at the Australian Senate". Retrieved 14 July 2017 – via YouTube.
- http://www.couriermail.com.au/...lee-rhiannon.../ ace6688b1e8a3b501efc09c816dcc05b
- "Unemployed workers union hits back at 'bludgers' club' claims". news.com.au. Retrieved 14 July 2017.