|Predecessors||Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows (MUIOOF), Australian Natives' Association (ANA)|
|Founded||7 December 1840Melbourne, Victoria, Australiain|
Number of employees
Australian Unity is an Australian mutual company having its origins in the friendly societies movement. It was formed as the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows (MUIOOF) in Melbourne, Victoria on 7 December 1840 by eight men including Thomas Strode, publisher of the Port Phillip Gazette and Augustus Greeves, inspired by Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity. In 1993, Manchester Unity merged with the Australian Natives' Association to form Australian Unity. Later mergers occurred with Grand United Friendly Society in 2005, Lifeplan Australia Friendly Society in 2009, and Big Sky Credit Union in 2012. Australian Unity has about 8,500 employees across healthcare, insurance and banking (in the guise of Big Sky Credit Union) divisions.
In 2012 Big Sky was merged with Australian Unity to become the banking arm of Australian Unity. Ownership of Big Sky Credit Union Limited was transferred to Australian Unity Limited's subsidiary Lifeplan Australia Building Society Limited and renamed Big Sky Building Society Limited. Members of Big Sky Credit Union became members of Australian Unity.
- Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows (MUIOOF)
- Australian Natives' Association
- Grand United Friendly Society
Grand United Order of Oddfellows Friendly Society (GUOOFS)
- Lifeplan Australia Friendly Society
- Big Sky Credit Union
- McDermott, Alex (2015), Of no personal influence : how people of common enterprise unexpectedly shaped Australia, South Melbourne, Victoria: Australian Unity, ISBN 978-0-646-93093-0[dead link]
- "A proud history dating back to 1840". Australian Unity. Retrieved 9 April 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Big Sky gets bigger". 17 March 2015. Archived from the original on 17 March 2015. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "Big Sky members vote in favour of Australian Unity deal". Financial Standards. 24 February 2012.
- "Big Sky gets bigger". Australian Banking and Finance. 2 March 2012. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Australian Unity appoints institutional business development manager". www.professionalplanner.com.au. 25 October 2016.
- "Manchester Unity I.O.O.F. : A £200,000 Structure". The Age. 27 July 1931. p. 11. Retrieved 9 April 2018 – via Trove. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Manchester Unity Building - A Notable Enterprise". The Age. Melbourne, Vic. 1 September 1932. p. 6. Retrieved 9 April 2018 – via National Library of Australia. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Manchester Unity Building - Acquisition Described as "Unjust"". The Age. Melbourne, Vic. 23 August 1947. p. 5. Retrieved 9 April 2018 – via National Library of Australia. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)