Australian mining entrepreneurs
The Australian mining industry has had a series of people who have had significant impact on the Australian economy as well as the mining industry due to their wealth, and their investment in the industry. Sometimes they are designated as Mining Magnates, and they are ascribed other titles such as Mining Tycoons, however in most cases they are significantly very public figures in the media of their times. Also during various changes in the national economy and mining industry some smaller players have had to adapt to the change.
There have been occasions where they join in protest against politicians, or alternatively they become leaders of political parties, or politicians. The claims that Australian mining entrepreneurs have control over the political process also arises at times. At times tycoons have also been known to have rivalries and difference that become public.
Some people who have been more acutely private about their wealth and lives, also can be understood to be those who have gained from the mining and resources industries, such as Mark Creasy, Rick Stowe and Alan Bond whose interests at some stage in his fluctuating fortunes had investments in the industry. Stan Perron is also another who shies from any publicity. There are also lesser known individuals who have also contributed to the industry, who have not been recognised for their investment in the industry.
Notable Australian mining entrepreneurs
- Claude de Bernales
- Robert Champion de Crespigny
- Joseph Gutnick
- Lang Hancock
- Gina Rinehart
- Andrew Forrest
- Clive Palmer
- Peter Wright
- Mark Creasy
- Woodford, Peter J; J.B. Were & Son (1993), A century of Australian mining entrepreneurs, J.B. Were, retrieved 2 February 2014
- The superlatives rise to further - Mega-Magnates - see Knox, Malcolm (2013), Boom : the underground history of Australia, from Gold Rush to GFC, Melbourne, Victoria Viking, ISBN 978-0-670-07611-6
- Dumett, Raymond E (2009), Mining tycoons in the age of empire, 1870-1945 : entrepreneurship, high finance, politics and territorial expansion, Ashgate, ISBN 978-0-7546-6303-4 Claude de Bernales has a chapter as a 'Tycoon' - in Mel Davies Claude De Bernales, wizard of Australia's golden west
- "Rich year for mining magnates", Australasian Business Intelligence, COMTEX News Network, Inc, 2010-05-26, ISSN 1320-6680
- Baker, Russell (1998-11-10), "Desperate and dateless.(the Australian mining entrepreneurs)", The Bulletin with Newsweek, A C P Computer Publications, 117 (6148): 54(1), ISSN 1440-7485
- "Aust Mining Magnates Muster Support to Fight Planned Profits Tax", AsiaPulse News, Asia Pulse Pty Ltd, 2010-06-09, retrieved 2 February 2014
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Radio National (2013-09-08), Clive Palmer, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, retrieved 2 February 2014
- "Mining merger threatened as tycoons clash; Merger.(Business)", Sunday Times (London, England), NI Syndication Limited: 6, 1996-04-07, ISSN 0956-1382
- Gooding, Ken (2004-09-24), "Still at the sharp end.(mining engineer Mark Creasy)(Biography)(Column)", Mining Journal, Mining Communications, Ltd: 17(1), ISSN 0026-5225
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Radio National (2010-01-15), Rick Stowe's Griffin Coal empire in trouble, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, retrieved 3 February 2014
- Barry, Paul (1991), The rise and fall of Alan Bond (Rev. ed.), Bantam Books, ISBN 978-1-86359-001-3
- "Business and investment Little-known millionaire behind the big takeover.". The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995). ACT: National Library of Australia. 22 July 1987. p. 26. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Davies, Mel (1997), "Metropole and periphery city finance, Claude de Bernales and West Australian gold mining 1900-1939", Australian Mining History Association. Conference (1996: University of Melbourne, Vic). Proceedings: 34–44, ISBN 978-0-646-34346-4
- Chairman Argus has a little bet each way The Age, published: 8 February 2008, accessed: 2 February 2014
- Parnell, Sean (2013), Clive : the story of Clive Palmer, Sydney HarperCollins Publishers Australia, ISBN 978-1-74309-816-5
- Jones, Timothy G (2008), Ping Que : mining magnate of the Northern Territory 1854-1886, Historical Society of the Northern Territory, ISBN 978-0-9803254-3-0
- Watt, Michael G (2013), The Watt family : from Bounty immigrants to mining entrepreneurs (Second ed.), Sandy Bay, Tasmania Michael G. Watt, retrieved 2 February 2014