Australian motorcycle Grand Prix
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Grand Prix motorcycle racing|
|Venue||Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit|
The Australian motorcycle Grand Prix is a motorcycling event that is part of the Grand Prix motorcycle racing season. From 1997 to the present day, it is run at the scenic Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit south of Melbourne, Victoria. Prior to 1997 the event was held at a number of different venues, most notably Eastern Creek west of Sydney New South Wales and Bathurst in central western New South Wales. The only rider to win the 'premier class' race at multiple venues is five-time World Champion Mick Doohan, with wins at Bathurst (1988), Eastern Creek (1992, 1995) and Phillip Island (1998).
Winners of the Australian motorcycle Grand Prix
Most wins (riders)
|8||Valentino Rossi||MotoGP||2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2014|
|6||Casey Stoner||MotoGP||2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012|
|4||Mick Doohan||500cc||1992, 1995, 1998|
|Year||Track||80 cc||125 cc||250 cc||500 cc||Report|
|1989||Phillip Island||Àlex Crivillé||JJ Cobas||Sito Pons||Honda||Wayne Gardner||Honda||Report|
|1988||Bathurst||Michael Doohan||Yamaha FZR750|
|1987||Winton||Kevin Magee||Yamaha FZR750|
|1986||Bathurst||Malcolm Campbell||Honda NR750|
|1983||Andrew Johnson||Honda RS500|
|1976||Sandown||Warren Willing||Yamaha 750|
|1968||Bathurst||Ron Toombs||Henderson Matchless G50|
|1967||Ron Toombs||Henderson Matchless G50|
|1966||Ron Toombs||Henderson Matchless G50|
|1946||Ron Kessing||Velocette 495|
|1937||Vale||Stuart Williams||Velocette 495|
|1924||Goulburn||Dave Brewster||Indian Chief|
|1914||Yetholme||Edgar Meller||2 3/4 TT Douglas|
Riots at Bathurst
The Bathurst motorcycle race riots, or Easter Motorcycle riots were a series of disturbances between 1980-1985 involving motorsport spectators and the New South Wales Police Force Tactical Response Group during the Australian motorcycle Grand Prix.
Following the 1985 race meeting, the Bathurst Regional Council placed a total ban on spectators taking their own alcohol into events at the Mount Panorama Circuit. This ban has subsequently been revoked. The council also put a limit on the number of drinks spectators could purchase per day from the outlets at the track. This also had a flow on effect for the circuits other annual event, the Bathurst 1000 touring car race held on the October long weekend, though traditionally the Bathurst 1000 crowd was much better behaved.
- "Malcolm Campbell". Speedcafe. Where Are They Now?. Speedcafe.com Australia. 2011-11-18. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "1965 Henderson Matchless Mk1". Motorcycling Australia. Motorcycling Australia Museum. Motorcycling Australia. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "Laurie Boulter's 1936 Ariel Red Hunter". Motorcycling Australia. Motorcycling Australia Museum. Motorcycling Australia. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "1936 495cc ex-works Velocette". Motorcycling Australia. Motorcycling Australia Museum. Motorcycling Australia. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article117550258 J. Mellor's Grand Prix Won Through Snow at Yetholme Saturday Referee and the Arrow, Trove Website Retrieved 2015-07-13))
- http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15536246?searchTerm=Meller%20Grand%20Prix&searchLimits= Motor Cycling Grand Prix Race Won by E. Meller Sydney Morning Herald, Trove Website, Sydney Morning Herald Retrieved 2013-11-26))