Australian referendum, 1984
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 1984 Australian Referendum was held on 1 December 1984. It contained two referendum questions, neither of which passed.
|Question||NSW||Vic||Qld||SA||WA||Tas||ACT ||NT ||States in favour||Voters in favour||Result|
|(37) Terms of Senators||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||2:4||51%||Not carried|
|(38) Interchange of Powers||No||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||No||0:6||47%||Not carried|
The referendum was held in conjunction with the 1984 federal election.
- Lindell, Geoffrey; Bennett, R. L. (2001-12-01). Parliament: The Vision in Hindsight. Federation Press. pp. 235–. ISBN 9781862874060. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Handbook of the 44th Parliament (2014) "Part 5 - Referendums and Plebiscites - Referendum results". Parliamentary Library of Australia..
- Following the 1977 referendum, votes cast in the territories count towards the national total, but would not be counted toward any state total.
- Select sources on constitutional change in Australia 1901-1997. Part 2 - History of Australian Referendums (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. 24 March 1997. ISBN 0644484101.
- Handbook of the 44th Parliament (2014) "Part 5 - Referendums and Plebiscites". Parliamentary Library of Australia.
- Bennett, Scott (2003). "Research Paper no. 11 2002–03: The Politics of Constitutional Amendment". Canberra: Parliamentary Library of Australia..
- Australian Electoral Commission (2007) Referendum Dates and Results 1906 – Present AEC, Canberra.