Australian referendum, 1988
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||It has been suggested that this article be merged with Australian referendum, 1988 (Parliamentary Terms), Australian referendum, 1988 (Fair Elections), Australian referendum, 1988 (Local Government) and Australian referendum, 1988 (Rights and Freedoms). (Discuss) Proposed since April 2014.|
The 1988 Australian Referendum was held on 3 September 1988. It contained four referendum questions, none of which passed. The failure was generally attributed to the open ended and nondescriptive wording of the proposed amendments.
|Question||NSW||Vic||Qld||SA||WA||Tas||ACT ||NT ||States in favour||Voters in favour||Result|
|(39) Parliamentary Terms||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||0:6||33%||Not carried|
|(40) Fair Elections||No||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||No||0:6||38%||Not carried|
|(41) Local Government||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||0:6||34%||Not carried|
|(42) Rights and Freedoms||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||0:6||31%||Not carried|
- Handbook of the 44th Parliament (2014) "Part 5 - Referendums and Plebiscites - Referendum results". Parliamentary Library of Australia..
- Following the 1977 referendum, votes cast in the territories count towards the national total, but would not be counted toward any state total.
- Select sources on constitutional change in Australia 1901-1997. Part 2 - History of Australian Referendums (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. 24 March 1997. ISBN 0644484101.
- Handbook of the 44th Parliament (2014) "Part 5 - Referendums and Plebiscites". Parliamentary Library of Australia.
- Bennett, Scott (2003). "Research Paper no. 11 2002–03: The Politics of Constitutional Amendment". Canberra: Parliamentary Library of Australia..
- Australian Electoral Commission (2007) Referendum Dates and Results 1906 – Present AEC, Canberra.