Australian rules football attendance records
Australian rules football attendance records
- 1 Australia
- 2 International
- 3 References
Note: Since the 1970s in Australia, many grounds have been reconfigured without standing room, which reduces maximum capacity.
By Australian State and Territory
|State||Attendance||Year||League||Event||Venue||Sold out ?|
|Victoria||121,686||1970||VFL||Grand Final – Carlton v Collingwood||MCG, Melbourne||Yes|
|New South Wales||72,393||2003||AFL||Round 21 – Sydney Swans v. Collingwood||Telstra Stadium, Sydney||No|
|South Australia||66,987||1976||SANFL||Grand Final – Sturt vs Port Adelaide||Football Park, Adelaide||Yes|
|Western Australia||59,585||2018||AFL||Qualifying Final - West Coast v Collingwood||Optus Stadium, Perth||Yes|
|Queensland||37,224||2005||AFL||Round 15 – Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood||Gabba, Brisbane||No|
|Tasmania||24,968||1979||TFL||Grand Final – Glenorchy v Clarence||North Hobart Oval, Hobart||Yes|
|Northern Territory||17,500||2002||AFL (pre-season practice)||Aboriginal All-Stars vs Carlton||Marrara Oval, Darwin||Yes|
|Australian Capital Territory||14,974||2016||AFL||Round 19 – Greater Western Sydney Giants vs Richmond||Manuka Oval, Canberra||Yes|
The table gives official crowd figures only. In the case of the 1976 SANFL Grand Final, the official crowd of 66,987 was the number of tickets sold, but when the SANFL ran out they opened Football Park's gates for free and the crowd grew by an estimated 15,000.
- Largest Crowd outside an Australian capital city – 49,109 (1952). VFL Geelong v Carlton (Kardinia Park, Geelong, Victoria)
- Largest Crowd outside a metropolitan city – 20,971 – (2006). AFL Hawthorn v Richmond (Aurora Stadium, Launceston, Tasmania)
State of Origin Representative Matches
- AFL – 7,146,604. (2010). Number of Games – 186. Average attendance – 38,423
- VFL – 2,720,119. (1976). Number of Games – 113. Average attendance – 28,173
- SANFL – 1,090,164. (1967). Number of Games – 104. Average attendance – 10,482
- WAFL – 960,169. (1967). Number of Games – 88. Average attendance – 10,911
- VFA – 937,291. (1976). Number of Games – 94. Average Attendance – 9,971
- TFL – 318,496. (1967). Number of Games – 58 Average attendance – 5,491
League Single Round
- AFL – 400,401. Round 1, 2017.
- AFL (VFL/AFL)
- Canada – 32,789 (1987). Melbourne v. Sydney (B.C. Place, Vancouver)
- Japan – 25,000 (1986). Carlton v. Hawthorn (Yokohama Stadium, Tokyo)
- United Kingdom – 18,884 (2005). West Coast v. Fremantle (The Oval, London)
- USA – 14,787 (1990). Melbourne v. West Coast (Civic Stadium, Portland)
- New Zealand – 11,666 (2000). Bulldogs v. Hawthorn. (Westpac Stadium, Wellington)
- South Africa – 10,123 (1998). Brisbane v. Fremantle. (Cape Town)
- United Arab Emirates – 6,102 (2008). Collingwood v. Adelaide. (Ghantoot Racing & Polo Club, Abu Dhabi)
- China – 7,100 (2010). Melbourne v. Brisbane Lions. (Jiangwan Stadium, Shanghai)
|Papua New Guinea||7,500||2009||Indigenous tour of PNG||Central Highlands vs Flying Boomerangs||Lae, Papua New Guinea|||
|Australia||5,000||2005||2005 Australian Football International Cup||Japan vs South Africa||City Oval||Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia|||
|Australia||3,500||2008||2008 Australian Football International Cup||Papua New Guinea vs South Africa||Reid Oval||Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia|||
|Canada||2,500||2007||49th Parallel Cup||Canada vs United States||Thunderbird Stadium||Vancouver, British Columbia|||
|Papua New Guinea||2,500||2009||Indigenous tour of PNG||PNG (U18) Kupundas vs Flying Boomerangs||University of PNG||Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea|||
|Czech Republic||500||2008||2008 EU Cup Australian rules football||England vs Croatia||Slavia Sports Centre||Prague|||
|Finland||150||2007||2007 European Australian Football Tri-nations Tournament||Finland vs Sweden||Halikko Stadium||Halikko|||
1. The International Cup carnival does not charge for admission, and crowd figures are estimates to the nearest 500 spectators based on total ground capacity. These figures do not include International Rules tests between Australia and Ireland or tests played as curtain raisers to AFL matches.
2. The 49th Parallel Cup charged admission for the first time in 2007.
Domestic Representative Matches
Notable Crowds for Leagues Outside of Australia
|Papua New Guinea||5,000||1999||AFL PNG (Grand Final)||Wests vs Koboni||Port Moresby|||
|Nauru||3,000||1999||NAFA championship finale||Menaida vs Panzer (Meneng)||Linkbelt Oval||Aiwo|||
|United Kingdom||1,500||1999||BARFL Grand Final||West London Wildcats vs Wandsworth Demons||Clapham Common||London|||
|United States of America||1,000||2004||MAAFL||Nashville Kangaroos vs Chicago Swans||Nashville, Tennessee|||
|Canada||600||October 2008||OAFL Grand Final||Toronto Eagles vs Etobicoke Kangaroos||Humber Park||Toronto|||
|Indonesia||500||12 July 2005||West Java AFL (Pancawati Cup) Grand Final||Pancawati Eages vs Pancawatti Scorpions||Pancawati (Bogor)|||
Note: No international Australian Rules Football leagues currently charge for admission, and crowd figures are estimates to the nearest 500 spectators based on total ground capacity.
- Norton, Daniel (2013). Port Adelaide Football Club - 2013 Season Guide. Adelaide: Bowden Group. p. 28.
- Review of the 1967 football season from Full Points Footy
- "The VFA and the Search for an Identity" (PDF). Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- French almost pull off an upset against the Reading Roos by Aaron Richard for World Footy News
- Brett Northey. "Boomerangs PNG tour wrap up and photos". World Footy News. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- WORLD BEATER: Rave reviews for city's International Cup role The Standard
- Aaron Richard. "England take EU Cup – tournament review". World Footy News. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Finland building towards 2008 from worldfootynews.com
- Official Website of the Australian Football League > NEWS ARTICLE > Australia winners at Canada Day Football Carnival Archived 24 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Kangaroos Bounce Their Way To First Premiership Archived 29 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Eagles Win Second Flag