Australians in the United Arab Emirates
0.17% of the UAE population)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Abu Dhabi · Dubai · Sharjah|
|English (Australian English) ·|
Australians are attracted by the lifestyle Dubai offers, including the wealth of outdoor activities for their families. However, their population fell in 2009 due to the downturn in the economy of Dubai, as retrenched Australian expatriates with underwater real-estate loans fled the country to avoid debtor's prison.
In Dubai, Australian and New Zealander expatriates joined together to set up the Australia New Zealand Association, which aims to provide mutual support for their communities in the entire UAE.
The Australian International School, Sharjah is an established international school, catering to much of the Australian community. The school's education system and syllabus is Queensland-curriculum based.
- "UAE´s population – by nationality". BQ Magazine. 12 April 2015. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Bilateral relationship". Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Canberra.
- Statistics - Numbers of Australians Overseas in 2001
- Gulfnews: InFocus Australia - Living it up in Dubai
- The Daily Telegraph: Debt-laden, jobless Aussies flee Dubai
- Gulfnews: Australian expatriates celebrate National Day
- Australian International School, Sharjah