Formal diplomatic relations between Austria and the Philippines was established on October 17, 1946. In 1973, the Philippines opened its resident embassy in Vienna. Prior to that, Philippine interests in Austria was represented under the Philippine Embassy in Bern, Switzerland.
As of 2014, there are about 35,000 Filipinos in Austria, most of them involved in the health and service sector. An estimated amount of 90 percent of the Filipinos in Austria are employed as nurses and midwives in hospital and homes of old folks throughout Austria. Filipino nurses started to flock to Austria as early as on the 1970s.
- "Celebration: National Day of the Republic of Austria". Manila Bulletin. 26 October 2014. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- Donko, Wilhelm. "Some Historical Highlights in the Austrian - Philippine Relations during the Spanish Period" (PDF). Austrian Embassy in Manila. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "The Philippine Embassy". Philippine Embassy - Vienna, Austria. Archived from the original on 31 December 2014. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Austria - Philippines economic Relations". Austrian Embassy Manila. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Filipino Nurses in Vienna celebrated 30 years of service in Austria". Austro-Asian Press. 31 December 2014. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
|This article about government in Austria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about bilateral relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|