Austria in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013
|Eurovision Song Contest 2013|
|Selection process||Österreich rockt den Song Contest
|Selection date(s)||15 February 2013|
|Selected entrant||Natália Kelly|
|Semi-final result||Failed to qualify (14th, 27 points)|
|Austria in the Eurovision Song Contest|
Austria participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 in Malmö, Sweden. The Austrian entry was selected through the national selection "Österreich rockt den Song Contest", organised by the Austrian broadcaster Österreichischer Rundfunk (ORF). The country was representerd by the song "Shine" performed by Natália Kelly , which failed to qualify from the first semi-final of the contest, placing 14th and scoring 27 points. The entry was written by Alexander Kahr, Andreas Grass, Nikola Paryla and Natália Kelly herself.
Österreich rockt den Song Contest
On 2 October 2012, Austrian broadcaster ORF announced the new format for their selection process. Five entries were selected for the national final held in Vienna on 15 February 2013, half than the previous two years. The interested artists were able to submit their entries until the first week of November. The names of the five selected finalists were announced on 11 December 2012. The Austrian candidates and songs were presented on 14 January.
A 50/50 mix of televoting and the verdict of an international jury, consisting of representatives from Sweden, United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland and Serbia, decided on the winner.
The members of the jury were:
- Marija Serifovic (Serbia - winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2007)
- Shay Byrne (Ireland - radio presenter)
- Gerd Gebhardt (Germany - music producer)
- Luke Fisher (United Kingdom - chief editor of escXtra.com)
- Anton Zetterholm (Sweden - musical actor)
The show consisted of two parts: in the first part each candidate performed a former Eurovision winning song and in the second part the candidate songs that were in contention to represent Austria were performed. In the first part, Yela performed "Love Shine a Light" (1997), Falco Luneau performed "What's Another Year" (1980), The Bandaloop performed "Waterloo" (1974), Natália Kelly performed "Ne partez pas sans moi" (1988), and Elija performed "Euphoria" (2012). When the jury (50%) and public (50%) votes were combined, Natália Kelly emerged as the winner with the song "Shine".
|1||Falco Luneau||"Rise Above the Night"||Falco Luneau, Tony Cornelissen||24||25||49||3|
|2||Yela||"Feels Like Home"||Daniela Bauer, Lukas Hillebrand, Alexander Pohn||34||16||50||2|
|3||Elija||"Give Me a Sign"||Elija||6||10||16||4|
|4||Natália Kelly||"Shine"||Andreas Grass, Nikola Paryla, Natália Kelly, Alexander Kahr||32||38||70||1|
|5||The Bandaloop||"Back to Fantasy"||Barca Baxant, Justin Case||4||11||15||5|
Austria was allocated to compete in the first semi-final on 14 May for a place in the final on 18 May. In the first semifinal, the producers of the show decided that Austria would open the semi-final and perform 1st, preceding Estonia. On stage, Kelly had five backing singers: Karin Bauer, Regina Mallinger, Birgit Kubica, Harald Baumgartner and Monika Ballwein.
Points awarded to Austria
|12 points||10 points||8 points||7 points||6 points|
|5 points||4 points||3 points||2 points||1 point|
Points awarded by Austria
Semi final 1
Points awarded in first semi-final:
Points awarded in the final:
- Brey, Marco (15 February 2013). "Natália Kelly to represent Austria in Malmö!". Eurovision.tv.
- Leon, Jakov (14 May 2013). "We have our first ten finalists!". Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Eurovision Song Contest 2013 Semi-Final (1)". Eurovision.tv. 18 May 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- "5 ACTS TO COMPETE IN AUSTRIAN FINAL!". ESCToday.com. 2 October 2012.
- "ORF reveals the 5 candidates". ESCToday.com. 11 December 2012.
- "Bunter Kandidatenmix". news.at. 14 January 2013.
- Jiandani, Sanjay (15 February 2013). "Tonight: Austrian national final - Österreich Rockt den Song Contest". ESCToday.com.
- Siim, Jarmo (17 January 2013). "Draw results: Who's in which Semi-Final?". Eurovision.tv.
- Siim, Jarmo (28 March 2013). "Eurovision 2013: Semi-Final running order revealed". Eurovision.tv.
- Kelly, Natália (7 May 2013). "MALMÖ 2013 | Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "Eurovision Song Contest 2013 Grand Final". Eurovision.tv. 18 May 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Austria in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013.|