|Known for||Engineering Education|
|Awards||U.S. Professor of Year (2012)|
ASEE National Outstanding Teaching Award (2011)
ASEE Ralph Coats Roe Award (2018)
SAE Ralph-Teetor Award (1991)
|Alma mater||Clemson University|
|Institutions||University of South Florida|
Autar Kaw is a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of South Florida. In 2012, he won the U.S Professor of the Year award from the Carnegie Foundation for Advancement of Teaching and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education. Kaw's main scholarly interests are in education research methods, open courseware development, flipped and adaptive learning, and the state and future of higher education.
In 1981, Kaw completed BE Honors in Mechanical Engineering from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) in India. He joined Clemson University for MS and Ph.D in Engineering Mechanics.
In 1987, he joined the University of South Florida. Since 2002, the National Science Foundation, a United States government agency, funded the development and implementation of an open courseware in Numerical Methods under the leadership of Kaw. The open courseware receives 1.8 million view on YouTube annually. He is the author of various books.
He is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. He is a member of American Society of Engineering Education and National Academy of Inventors He is one of the two founding members of the USF College of Engineering Academy of Distinguished Engineering Educators. In 2018, he visited UTP, Malaysia as a Fulbright Specialist candidate. He conducted several educational workshops on topics including MOOCs, flipped learning, improving student classroom performance, and the scholarship of teaching and learning.
|2018||Ralph Coats Roe Award ||American Society of Engineering Education|
|2012||U.S Professor of the Year |
|2011||National Outstanding Teaching Award||American Society of Engineering Education|
|2004||Florida U.S. Professor of the Year|
|2003||Archie Higdon Distinguished Educator Award||American Society of Engineering Education|
|2018||Evaluating Blended and Flipped Instruction in Numerical Methods at Multiple Engineering Schools||International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning|
|2018||Transverse shear modulus of unidirectional composites with voids estimated by the multiple-cells model||Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing|
|2014||Comparison of Final Examination Formats in a Numerical Methods Course||International Journal of Engineering Education|
|2011||Effect of geometry, loading and elastic moduli on critical parameters in a nanoindentation test in polymeric matrix composites with a nonhomogeneous interphase||Composite Interfaces|
|2008||Problem-centered approach in a numerical methods course||Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice|
|2007||Sensitivity analysis of cooling methods and geometric parameters in the assembly procedure of bascule bridge fulcra||The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design|
|2003||Holistic but customized resources for a course in numerical methods||Computer Applications in Engineering Education|
|2003||Optimization of laminate stacking sequence for failure load maximization using Tabu search||Composites: Part B|
|1996||Effect of extrinsic and intrinsic factors on an indentation test||International Journal of Solids and Structures|
|1994||Fracture mechanics of composites with nonhomogeneous interphases and nondilute fiber volume fractions||International Journal of Solids and Structures|
|1993||Axisymmetric thermoelastic response of a composite cylinder containing an annular matrix crack||Journal of composite materials|
|1992||An instructional interactive aid for mechanics of composites||International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education|
- Chachere, Vickie (Nov 15, 2012). "USF Professor Receives Prestigious Award". USF News.
- "Indian academic Autar Kaw is US Professor of the Year – Firstpost". www.firstpost.com. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- Sheehan, Keeley (Nov 15, 2012). "USF professor wins top national award for undergraduate teaching". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Gohain, Manash (Nov 20, 2012). "India-origin professor among recipients of 2012 US Professor". Times of India. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "Indian-American Autar Kaw named Professor of the Year". The Indian Express. November 21, 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "AUTAR KAW – Professor, open course ware advocate, socioeconomic diversity champion, one-pony pedagogy assailant, UDL believer, replicating education-research studies supporter". autarkaw.com. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "NSF Award Search: Award#0126793 - Holistic Numerical Methods: A Prototype". www.nsf.gov. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "NSF Award Search: Award#1609637 - Transforming a Flipped STEM Course Through Adaptive Learning". www.nsf.gov. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "NSF Award Search: Award#1322586 - Improving and Assessing Student Learning in an Inverted STEM Classroom Setting". nsf.gov. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "NSF Award Search: Award#0341468 - Holistic Numerical Methods". www.nsf.gov. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "NSF Award Search: Award#0717624 - Holistic Numerical Methods: Unabridged". www.nsf.gov. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Multimedia Gallery – Autar Kaw with students from his numerical methods course at the University of South Florida. | NSF – National Science Foundation". www.nsf.gov. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Mechanics of Composite Materials". CRC Press. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Kaw, Autar (2011). Numerical Methods with Applications: Abridged. Lulu.com.
- Kaw, Autar (2008). Introduction to Matrix Algebra. Lulu.com.
- "List of Fellows of ASME" (PDF). Retrieved September 23, 2018.
- Florida, University of South. "Chapter Members – USF Chapter of the National Academy of Inventors – University of South Florida". innovation.usf.edu. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- name, Your. "History : Academy of Distinguished Engineering Educators College of Engineering University of South Florida". www.eng.usf.edu. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Showcase : Academy of Distinguished Engineering Educators College of Engineering University of South Florida". www.eng.usf.edu. Retrieved 2018-12-29.
- Kahl, Nathan (April 26, 2018). "American Society for Engineering Education Announces 2018 Award Recipients" (PDF). Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Melendez, Barbara (May 19, 2011). "Nation's Top Engineering Educator". Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Congressional Record – Extension of Remarks" (PDF). November 20, 2004. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- "Mechanics Division: American Society for Engineering Education". www.asee.org. Retrieved 2018-12-13.