|Public, subsidiary, Delaware corporation|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: AAPL|
|Industry||Semiconductor, computer security, mobile security, biometrics, identity management|
|Fate||Acquired by Apple Inc.|
|Predecessor||Division of Harris Semiconductor Corporation|
|Products||Mobile security solutions, biometrics technology|
AuthenTec, Inc. was a semiconductor, computer security, mobile security, identity management, biometrics, and touch control solutions company based in Melbourne, Florida. Founded in 1998 after being spun off from Harris Semiconductor, AuthenTec provided mobile security software licenses to mobile manufacturing companies and biometrics sensor technology, such as fingerprint sensors and NFC technology to mobile and computer manufacturers. On 27 July 2012, AuthenTec was acquired by Apple Inc. for $356 million.
- In 1998, AuthenTec was spun off from parent company Harris Semiconductor.
- In 2007, AuthenTec became a publicly traded company.
- On 2 May 2008, AuthenTec acquired EzValidation.
- On 14 July 2009, AuthenTec acquired Atrua Technologies for $5m.
- On 26 February 2010, AuthenTec acquired SafeNet's Embedded Security Solutions division.
- On 7 September 2010, AuthenTec merged with UPEK.
- On August 2, 2011, AuthenTec began collaborating with NXP Semiconductors and mobile payment software firm DeviceFidelity to provide a combination of wireless chips, sensors, mobile applications and micro-SD cards to manufacturers and mobile network carriers of Android devices to support NFC mobile payments and transportation check-ins.
- On 27 July 2012, AuthenTec was acquired by Apple Inc. for $356M.
Products and services
- TruePrint smart sensors
- TrueSuite identity management software
- TrueProtect embedded security products (formerly SafeNet Embedded Security Solutions)
- Touch ID
- Gupta, Poornima; Carew, Sinead (27 July 2012). "Apple buys mobile security firm AuthenTec for $356 million". Reuters. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- Price, Wayne T. (11 September 2013). "Fla. company's fingerprints all over iPhone security". USA Today. Gannett Satellite Information Network. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Form 8-K: Authentec, Inc". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. 26 July 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "AuthenTec and UPEK Announce Merger". Business Wire. 7 September 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- Woyke, Elizabeth (2 August 2011). "Can Fingerprint Sensors Convince People To Use 'Mobile Wallets'?". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
|This computer security article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an IT-related or software-related company or corporation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|