AutoLatina was the name of a joint venture between Volkswagen Group subsidiary Volkswagen do Brasil and Ford Motor Company subsidiary Ford do Brasil in South America. The main reason was the bad economic situation at the time that made joint survival more attractive than an individual fight for a share in a dwindling market.
Volkswagen had 51% of the company and Ford 49%; Volkswagen managed the Car Division, and Ford the Truck Division.
This resulted in the two companies sharing badge engineered models. These included:
- Ford Verona / Volkswagen Apollo
- Ford Escort Mk V / Volkswagen Pointer
- Ford Orion / Volkswagen Logus
- Volkswagen Santana / Ford Galaxy/Versailles
- Volkswagen Quantum / Ford Royale
The AutoLatina venture was dissolved in 1995, with the improvement of the economic situation, the respective companies resuming their activities separately.
- "Folha de S.Paulo - Ford e Volks anunciam fim da Autolatina;Nova direção - 2/12/1994". www1.folha.uol.com.br. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
|This article about an automotive industry corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Argentina corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Brazilian corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|