|August 30, 2012|
Automate This: How Algorithms Came to Rule Our World is a book written by Christopher Steiner  and published by Penguin Group. Steiner begins his study of algorithms on Wall Street in the 1980s  but also provides examples from other industries. For example, he explains the history of Pandora Radio and the use of algorithms in music identification. He expresses concern that such use of algorithms may lead to the homogenization of music over time. Steiner also discusses the algorithms that eLoyalty (now owned by Mattersight Corporation following divestiture of the technology) was created by dissecting 2 million speech patterns and can now identify a caller's personality style and direct the caller with a compatible customer support representative.
Steiner's book shares both the warning and the opportunity that algorithms bring to just about every industry in the world, and the pros and cons of the societal impact of automation (e.g. impact on employment).
- Technological unemployment
- Race Against The Machine: How the Digital Revolution is Accelerating Innovation, Driving Productivity, and Irreversibly Transforming Employment and the Economy
- "Christopher Steiner". Chrissteiner.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2013-05-17.
- Vance, Ashlee (2012-09-06). "Book Review: 'Automate This,' by Christopher Steiner". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 2014-01-09. Retrieved 2013-05-17.
- Morozov, Evgeny (2012-09-20). "Book Review: Automate This". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 2013-05-21. Retrieved 2013-05-17.
- "Automate This - FORTUNE Features". CNN. 2012-08-24. Archived from the original on 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2013-05-17.