|This section requires expansion with: details of technology used, designers, manufacturers, etc. (May 2014)|
Restaurant automation means the use of restaurant management system to automate the major operations of a restaurant establishment. Even in the early 1970s, a number of restaurants served foods solely through vending machines. Called automats, or in Japan shokkenki, customers ordered their foods directly through the machines.
More recently, restaurants are opening that have completely or partially automated their services. These may include taking of orders, preparing of food, serving and billing. A few fully automated restaurants operate without any human intervention whatsoever. Robots are designed to help and sometimes replace human labour (such as waiters and chefs). Automation of restaurants also allows the option for greater customization of an order.
Automated restaurants have been opening in many countries. Examples include Fritz's Railroad Restaurant in Kansas City, Missouri, Výtopna (Railway Restaurant), a franchise of various retaurants and cofeehouses in Czech Republic, Bagger's Restaurant in Nuremberg, Germany, FuA-Men Restaurant, a ramen restaurant located in Nagoya, Japan, Hajime Robot Restaurant, a Japanese restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand, the Dalu Robot Restaurant in Jinan, China Haohai Robot Restaurant in Harbin, China and Robot Kitchen Restaurant in Hong Kong. Robot Chacha, the first robot restaurant of India is due to open this year in capital city, New Delhi. Across Europe, McDonald's plans on implementing 7,000 touch screen kiosks that will handle cashiering duties. 
- Fritz's Railroad Restaurant
- Model train delivers restaurant drinks (1:19)
- Fully automated restaurant opens in Germany
- Robot Chefs Run Restaurant in Japan
- The Samurai Robot Waiters of Hajime Restaurant
- A Look Inside China’s Robot Restaurant
- At Hong Kong High-Tech Cafe, Everything Is Served With Microchips
- Communist Robot - Where do you stand on the future?
- 's Baggers official website
- Alkadur RobotSystems official website
- CT Asia Robotics official website
- Display Everywhere
- automated restaurants concepts
- automated restaurants in Spanish university