This section needs expansion with: details of technology used, designers, manufacturers, etc. You can help by adding to it. (May 2014)
Restaurant automation means the use of a restaurant management system to automate the major operations of a restaurant establishment. Even in the early 1970s a number of restaurants served food solely through vending machines. These restaurants were called automats or, in Japan, shokkenki. Customers ordered their food directly through the machines.
More recently, restaurants are opening that have completely or partially automated their services. These may include: taking orders, preparing food, serving, and billing. A few fully automated restaurants operate without any human intervention whatsoever. Robots are designed to help and sometimes replace human labour (such as waiters and chefs). The automation of restaurants may also allow for the option for greater customization of an order.
In September 2021, Karakuri’s 'Semblr' food service robot served personalised lunches for the 4,000 employees of grocery technology solutions provider ocado Group's head offices in Hatfield, UK. 2,700 different combinations of dishes were on offer. Customers could specify in grams what hot and cold items, proteins, sauces and fresh toppings they wanted.
In 2021, Columbia University School of Engineering and Applied Science engineers developed a method of cooking 3D printed chicken with software-controlled robotic lasers. The “Digital Food” team exposed raw 3D printed chicken structures to both blue and infrared light. They then assessed the cooking depth, colour development, moisture retention and flavour differences of the laser-cooked 3D printed samples in comparison to stove-cooked meat.
Automated restaurants have been opening in many countries. Examples include:
- Nala Restaurant in Naperville, Illinois, the world's first fully automated multi-cuisine chef, customizable robots that use machine learning to cook infinite recipes replicated with exact precision anytime, anywhere.
- Fritz's Railroad Restaurant in Kansas City, Missouri
- Výtopna, a Railway Restaurant using model trains: franchise of various restaurants and coffeehouses in the Czech Republic
- Bagger's Restaurant in Nuremberg, Germany
- FuA-Men Restaurant, a ramen restaurant located in Nagoya, Japan
- Fōster Nutrition in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Dalu Robot Restaurant in Jinan, China
- Haohai Robot Restaurant in Harbin, China
- Robot Kitchen Restaurant in Hong Kong
- Robo-Chef restaurant in Tehran, Iran, started in 2017, is the first robotic and "waiterless" restaurant of the Middle East.
- MIT graduates opened Spyce Kitchens in downtown Boston, Massachusetts, in 2018
- Foodom, under Country Garden Holdings, opened January 12, 2020, in Guangzhou, China
- Robot Chacha, the first robot restaurant of India, is planning to open in the capital city of New Delhi.
- Kura Revolving Sushi Bar, with a number of locations in the United States, uses a tablets at tables for ordering, a conveyor belt to deliver food, and robots to deliver drinks and condiments.
- Kooser, Amanda (May 17, 2011). "McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers". CNET.
- "McDonald's is Testing Tablet-Based Burger Customization at 30 Franchises". DailyTech. Archived from the original on 2015-06-07. Retrieved 2015-06-11.
- "Restaurant in the Netherlands to use robots to help out waiters". euronews. 2020-06-10. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- Reuters Editorial (2020-06-04). "Robots dish out the drinks at reopened Dutch restaurant". U.S. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
|author=has generic name (help)
- O'Beirne, Sarah. "Atalian Servest and Karakuri's robots to feed Ocado staff". FMJ. FMJ. Retrieved 24 September 2021.
- Everett, Hayley (21 September 2021). "Columbia engineers cook 3D printed chicken with robotic lasers". 3D printing Industry. Retrieved 24 September 2021.
- "Restaurant with robot chef to open at Mall of India in Naperville". chicagotribune.com.
- "Fritz's Railroad Restaurant - Kansas City, Kansas". kansastravel.org.
- Reuters, Thomson. "Model train delivers restaurant drinks" – via www.reuters.com.
|last=has generic name (help)
- "Fully automated restaurant opens in Germany". Engadget.
- "Robot Chefs Run Restaurant in Japan". Fox News. 13 September 2022.
- "¿Cómo es el primer restaurante "inteligente" de la Argentina, al estilo de Amazon Go?". iprofesional.com/tecnologia/265469-software-tableta-emprendedor-Como-es-el-primer-restaurante-inteligente-de-la-Argentina-al-estilo-de-Amazon-Go.
- Saenz, Aaron (December 28, 2010). "A Look Inside China's Robot Restaurant (video)".
- "NEWSCONTENT". Archived from the original on 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- "At Hong Kong High-Tech Cafe, Everything Is Served With Microchips". spacedaily.com.
- "Communist Robot - Where do you stand on the future?". Archived from the original on 2012-02-07. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- Staff, IFP Editorial (2017-10-29). "Middle East's First Robotic Restaurant Opens in Tehran". IFP News. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- "Interactive Restaurants Making Their Mark". Financial Tribune. 2017-08-13. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- "Country Garden Opens China's First Fully Robotic Restaurant in Guangzhou". Yicai Global. Retrieved 2020-01-18.
- Conveyor-belt sushi (and robots) come to Watertown
- "Kura Revolving Sushi Bar".