This section needs expansion with: details of technology used, designers, manufacturers, etc. You can help by adding to it. (May 2014)
Restaurant automation means the use of a restaurant management system to automate the major operations of a restaurant establishment. Even in the early 1970s a number of restaurants served food solely through vending machines. These restaurants were called automats or, in Japan, shokkenki. Customers ordered their food directly through the machines.
More recently, restaurants are opening that have completely or partially automated their services. These may include: taking orders, preparing food, serving, and billing. A few fully automated restaurants operate without any human intervention whatsoever. Robots are designed to help and sometimes replace human labour (such as waiters and chefs). The automation of restaurants may also allow for the option for greater customization of an order.
Automated restaurants have been opening in many countries. Examples include:
- Fritz's Railroad Restaurant in Kansas City, Missouri
- Výtopna, a Railway Restaurant using model trains: franchise of various restaurants and coffeehouses in the Czech Republic
- Bagger's Restaurant in Nuremberg, Germany
- FuA-Men Restaurant, a ramen restaurant located in Nagoya, Japan
- Hajime Robot Restaurant, a Japanese restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand
- Fōster Nutrition in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Dalu Robot Restaurant in Jinan, China
- Haohai Robot Restaurant in Harbin, China
- Robot Kitchen Restaurant in Hong Kong, China
- Robo-Chef restaurant in Tehran, Iran, started in 2017, is the first robotic and "waiterless" restaurant of the Middle East.
- MIT graduates opened Spyce Kitchens in downtown Boston, Massachusetts, in 2018
- Foodom, under Country Garden Holdings, opened January 12, 2020, in Guangzhou, China
- Robot Chacha, the first robot restaurant of India, is planning to open in the capital city of New Delhi.
- Kooser, Amanda. "McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers". CNET.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-07. Retrieved 2015-06-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Restaurant in the Netherlands to use robots to help out waiters". euronews. 2020-06-10. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- Editorial, Reuters (2020-06-04). "Robots dish out the drinks at reopened Dutch restaurant". U.S. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- "Fritz's Railroad Restaurant - Kansas City, Kansas". kansastravel.org.
- Reuters, Thomson. "Model train delivers restaurant drinks" – via www.reuters.com.
- "Fully automated restaurant opens in Germany". Engadget.
- "Robot Chefs Run Restaurant in Japan".
- "The Samurai Robot Waiters of Hajime Restaurant". Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities. April 5, 2010.
- "¿Cómo es el primer restaurante "inteligente" de la Argentina, al estilo de Amazon Go?". https://www.iprofesional.com/tecnologia/265469-software-tableta-emprendedor-Como-es-el-primer-restaurante-inteligente-de-la-Argentina-al-estilo-de-Amazon-Go. External link in
- Saenz, Aaron (December 28, 2010). "A Look Inside China's Robot Restaurant (video)".
- "NEWSCONTENT". Archived from the original on 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- "At Hong Kong High-Tech Cafe, Everything Is Served With Microchips". spacedaily.com.
- "Communist Robot - Where do you stand on the future?". Archived from the original on 2012-02-07. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- Staff, IFP Editorial (2017-10-29). "Middle East's First Robotic Restaurant Opens in Tehran". IFP News. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- "PressTV-Tehran eatery serves meals by robots". presstv.com. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- "Interactive Restaurants Making Their Mark". Financial Tribune. 2017-08-13. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- "Country Garden Opens China's First Fully Robotic Restaurant in Guangzhou". Yicai Global. Retrieved 2020-01-18.