Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Look up automatism in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article automatism.|
Automatism may refer to:
- Automatic behavior, spontaneous verbal or motor behavior; an act performed unconsciously. Defendants have been found not guilty due to an automatism defense (e.g., homicide while sleepwalking).
- Automatism (law), a defense to liability. See also Automatism (case law).
- Automatism (toxicology), when an individual repeatedly takes a medication because the individual forgets previous doses, potentially leading to a drug overdose.
- Automatic writing, the process, or product, of writing material that does not come from the conscious thoughts of the writer.
- Surrealist automatism, an art technique.
- Automatism (medicine), repetitive unconscious gestures such as lip smacking, chewing, or swallowing in certain types of epilepsy.
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Automatism.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.