From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up automatism in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article automatism.|
Automatism may refer to:
- Automatic behavior, spontaneous verbal or motor behavior; an act performed unconsciously. Defendants have been found not guilty due to an automatism defense (e.g., homicide while sleepwalking).
- Automatism (law), a defense to liability. See also Automatism (case law).
- Automatism (toxicology), when an individual repeatedly takes a medication because the individual forgets previous doses, potentially leading to a drug overdose.
- Automatic writing, the process, or product, of writing material that does not come from the conscious thoughts of the writer.
- Surrealist automatism, an art technique.
- Automatism (medicine), repetitive unconscious gestures such as lip smacking, chewing, or swallowing in certain types of epilepsy.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Automatism.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.