|Founder||L. Scott Bailey|
|Year founded||Spring 1962|
|Based in||New Albany, Indiana|
Automobile Quarterly was a hardbound, advertising-free periodical publication which focuses on cars. The publication has been well known for quality writing and photography about automobiles, personalities and related subjects.
History and profile
The magazine started in Spring 1962 with the sub-title "The Connoisseur's Magazine of Motoring Today, Yesterday, and Tomorrow" or in the words of the founder—"a cross between The New Yorker and Encyclopædia Britannica in the world of auto mania". The founder and first editor was L. Scott Bailey (September 4, 1924 to June 26, 2012), working from offices in New York City. In 1963, an "office of publication" was opened in Kutztown, Pennsylvania, which operated first as Automobile Quarterly, Inc.
Bailey retired to live in the English Cotswolds and CBS Magazines purchased Automobile Quarterly in 1986 selling the magazine to Kutztown Publishing in 1988. In October 2000, Automobile Quarterly was sold to a newly formed company, Automobile Heritage Publishing & Communications, LLC, and relocated to New Albany, Indiana.
So far, vol. 52 (1) has been the last issue published in 2012. Although the AQ website is still online, there were severe doubts regarding further publications.
- Stephen Blake Mettee American Directory of Writer's Guidelines 2006 edition, at Google Books
- Robert McLellan Automobile Quarterly Collections May 2005; The Automotive Chronicles website. Retrieved August 23, 2009
- Jonathan A. Stein (July 5, 2012). "L. Scott Bailey". Hagerty. Retrieved August 5, 2015.
- Paul Vitello. (July 16, 2012). L Scott Bailey, Founder of Automobile Quarterly, dies at 87 The New York Times.
- CBS Inc., whose magazine group publishes Road & Track and Car and Driver acquired the assets of Automobile Quarterly Publishing Co., a Princeton N.J., firm, Chicago Tribune, June 20, 1986
- Hachette to Buy Magazine Publisher The New York Times. April 14, 1988
- Desilva and Phillips, Deals, July 2000: Automobile Quarterly
- Automobile Quarterly Future Uncertain carpubinsider.com. July 26, 2012. Retrieved August 2013