Automotive industry in Bangladesh
Pragoti Industries Limited (PIL) is among the oldest and largest automobile assemblers in Bangladesh. The company has assembled over 50,000 vehicles since its inception in 1966. In February 2010, Japanese car manufacturer Mitsubishi officially proposed to the Bangladesh government to locally assemble the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport in collaboration with Pragoti. Operations commenced in August 2011, with an annual production output of around 500 units.
In 2009, the Malaysian Agate Group proposed to build a car manufacturing plant in Bangladesh in cooperation with Walton, which itself is preparing to produce motorcycles. In the same year, car manufacturing company TagAZ announced that they would build their third factory in Bangladesh, aiming for exporting. The plant is to be completed by 2012.
In March 2015, PHP Group and Proton announced plans to assemble Proton cars in Bangladesh. A new Tk 400 crore assembly plant would be constructed in Chittagong to facilitate an annual production output of 1,200 units. In May 2017, PHP Automobiles launched the Bangladeshi-built Proton Prevé. The company intends to market the Prevé as an alternative to used imported cars which dominate the local market.
Automobile companies in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Machine Tools Factory Limited
- Walton Hi-Tech Industries Limited
- Runner Automobiles
- PHP Automobiles
- "Pragoti Industries Ltd". Bangladesh Steel and Engineering Corporation (BSEC). Archived from the original on 2013-02-20. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Anthony Lim (9 August 2011). "Mitsubishi Pajero Sport production begins in Bangladesh". Driven Communications. Archived from the original on 3 June 2017. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "Malaysian group intends to build car plant". The Daily Star. 2009-09-01.
- "Bangladesh to become carmaker". The Daily Star. 2009-10-13. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Jonathan Lee (2015-03-20). "Proton Preve to be assembled in Bangladesh – report". paultan.org. Archived from the original on 2015-05-22. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "PHP-assembled Proton cars hit market". newagebd.net. 3 May 2017. Archived from the original on 3 June 2017. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "PHP starts Proton car production in Ctg plant". thefinancialexpress-bd.com. 3 May 2017. Archived from the original on 3 June 2017. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Automobile manufacturers by country.|