Automotive industry in Chennai
Chennai is nicknamed the "Detroit of India" (or the "Detroit of Asia") due to the presence of major automobile manufacturing units and allied industries around the city. The 4-wheeler vehicles in Chennai is the base of 30% of India's automobile industry and 35% of its automobile component industry. Besides the commercial industry, the Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) has been established in Avadi to produce military related vehicles. Avadi also boasts of the Combat Vehicle Research & Development Establishment (CVRDE), a new engine testing facility.
|CEAT||Sriperumbudur (Upcoming Plant)|
Auto component companies have their manufacturing plants in and around Chennai include
- Avalon Technologies
- Ashley Alteams
- Bavina Industries
- Brakes India
- Design Edge Technologies
- Iochpe Maxion
- JKM Daerim
- Mandi India
- Hyundai wia
- Hyundai mobis
- Korea Fuel Tech
- Hyundai dymosLear Automotive India Pvt Ltd (Lear Corporation])
- Leo Primecomp
- Sundaram Clayton
- Wabco India
- Valeo India
- Wheels India
- ZDPL—YAPP Automotive.Modine
- Business America. U.S. Department of Commerce. 1997. p. 14.
- "Chennai is the Detroit of Asia". rediff.com. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Automotive Components". Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India. Archived from the original on 30 April 2008. Retrieved 12 April 2008.
- "Automobile Industry India". Imagin Mor.
- "Ashok Leyland Manufacturing Facilities". Ashok Leyland Manufacturing Facilities.
- "Ashok Leyland and Nissan LCV plant location at Pillaipakkam". Business Standard. 8 September 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "BMW Chennai facility goes on stream". The Hindu. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Daimler to roll out buses from Chennai plant". The Hindu. 6 March 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Engineering services". Mechanical design outsourcing.
- "About Ford". About Ford. Ford India. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Ford looking to achieve full capacity; plans to expand soon". The Hindu Business Line. 7 April 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- https://www.mahindra.com/innovation/autojourney/ajax-auto-story?record=mrv. Missing or empty
- "Force Motors inaugurates facility near Chennai for BMW engines".
- "Hyundai Motor India - Office Addresses". Hyundai Motor India - Office Addresses. Hyundai Motor India. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Hyundai to roll out new car from second plant". The Hindu Business Line. 19 September 2006. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Hyundai to produce 6 lakh cars in 2008". Business Standard. 4 February 2008. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Chennai Car Plant (CCP) - Tiruvallur". Hindustan Motors. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Factory Tour, Royal Enfield". Factory Tour - Royal Enfield. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Wrightbus new plant at Chennai".
- "Yamaha inaugurates plant". TOI.
- "Delphi diesel systems".