Automotive industry in Chennai
Chennai is nicknamed the Detroit of Asia due to the presence of major automobile manufacturing units and allied industries around the city. The 4-wheeler vehicles in Chennai is the base of 30% of India's automobile industry and 35% of its automobile component industry. Besides the commercial industry, the Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) has been established in Avadi to produce military related vehicles. Avadi also boasts of the Combat Vehicle Research & Development Establishment (CVRDE), a new engine testing facility.
Auto component companies have their manufacturing plants in and around Chennai include Avalon Technologies, Ashley Alteams, Bavina Industries, Bharat Forge, BorgWarner, Brakes India, Caterpillar, Delphi-TVS Diesel Systems, Ennore Foundries, Federal-Mogul, Hidromas, India Pistons, Iochpe Maxion, JKM Daerim, Korea Fuel Tech, Leo Primecomp, Machino, Motherson Sumi, Naza, Rane, SEW Eurodrive, Sundaram Clayton, Takata, TI Cycles, Tube Products of India, TVS Motors, Valeo India, Visteon, Wheels India and ZDPL—YAPP Automotive.Modine
- "Chennai is the Detroit of Asia". rediff.com. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "Automotive Components". Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India. Archived from the original on 30 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- "Automobile Industry India". Imagin Mor.
- "Ashok Leyland Manufacturing Facilities". Ashok Leyland Manufacturing Facilities.
- "Ashok Leyland and Nissan LCV plant location at Pillaipakkam". Business Standard. September 8, 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "BMW Chennai facility goes on stream". The Hindu. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Daimler to roll out buses from Chennai plant". The Hindu. March 6, 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "About Ford". About Ford. Ford India. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "Ford looking to achieve full capacity; plans to expand soon". The Hindu Business Line. April 7, 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Force Motors inaugurates facility near Chennai for BMW engines".
- "Hyundai Motor India - Office Addresses". Hyundai Motor India - Office Addresses. Hyundai Motor India. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Hyundai to roll out new car from second plant". The Hindu Business Line. September 19, 2006. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Hyundai to produce 6 lakh cars in 2008". Business Standard. 4 February 2008. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Chennai Car Plant (CCP) - Tiruvallur". Hindustan Motors. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Factory Tour, Royal Enfield". Factory Tour - Royal Enfield. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Wrightbus new plant at Chennai".
- "Yamaha inaugurates plant". TOI.
- "Delphi diesel systems".