|Directed by||Adam Gierasch|
|Produced by||Seven Arts Pictures
|Written by||Adam Gierasch,
E. L. Katz
|Music by||Joseph Bishara|
|Cinematography||Anthony B. Richmond|
|Edited by||Andrew Cohen|
|Distributed by||High Fliers Films|
Autopsy is a 2008 American horror film directed by Adam Gierasch. It premiered on August 24, 2008 in the United Kingdom at the London FrightFest Film Festival and was selected as one of After Dark Horrorfest's "Eight Films to Die For". The films stars Michael Bowen, Jessica Lowndes, Ashley Schneider, Robert Patrick and Jenette Goldstein. Filming took place in Louisiana.
Five friends go to New Orleans Mardi Gras. On their way home, they get into a car accident and realize they have hit a man. Before anyone can call for help, an ambulance arrives. They are taken to a strange hospital where their injuries can be examined.
The plot centers on Mercy Hospital where inhumane experiments are being done on the living patients by an insane staff. The "experiments" are brutal, often killing the victim. In one set piece, the internal organs of a patient are hung like a garland over the autopsy table. The experiments are designed to save the head doctor's wife, who has a terminal disease.
- Jessica Lowndes as Emily
- Ross Kohn as Bobby
- Ross McCall as Jude
- Ashley Schneider as Clare
- Arkady Golubovich as Dimitrly
- Robert LaSardo as Scott
- Michael Bowen as Travis
- Jenette Goldstein as Nurse Marian
- Robert Patrick as Dr. Benway
- Elijah Hardy as Gregory
- Tatyana Kanavka as Gretchen
- Eric Adams as Officer Jacobs
- Janine Venable as Lisette
Critical reception for Autopsy has been mostly positive. Fearnet commented that the film took a while to get started, but that "once Autopsy gets moving with its strange sense of humor and its admirable devotion to old-fashioned, over-the-top, Fango-friendly gore-gasms ... I have no problem calling it a weekend rental for the horror fans who've seen it all." Dread Central and HorrorNews.net both gave mostly positive reviews, and Dread Central stated that although the film "does have its fair share of pitfalls" it was overall "a living, breathing nightmare of a movie that's as sadistic as it is surreal." In contrast, DVD Talk gave a more mixed review, writing that "Director Adam Gierasch shows some talent with a few sick set pieces and bursts of aggression, but some comatose performances, predictable jumps and a slightly aimless final third keep this in stable condition."
- "First Photos From Adam Gierasch’s ‘Autopsy’". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Turek, Ryan. "Exclusive Interview: Adam Gierasch of Autopsy". STYD. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Scott, Mike. "Local horror film 'Autopsy' selected for national film festival". NOLA. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Autopsy". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Johnson, David. "AUTOPSY (review)". DVD Verdict. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Weinberg, Scott. "FEARNET Movie Review - Autopsy". Fearnet. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- VanCroft, Angel. "Film Review: Autopsy (2008)". HN.n. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Review: Autopsy (2009)". Dread Central. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- McGaughy, Cameron. "Autopsy (review)". DVD Talk. Retrieved 3 May 2014.