This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
L'Autre Afrique was a monthly news magazine published in Paris, France.
History and profile
L'Autre Afrique was founded in 1997 by Paris-based journalist Jean-Baptiste Placca as a response to the clichéd and often reductive depiction of Africa in the Western media. In contrast L'Autre Afrique sought to inspire a different reading that reflected the diversity of opinion, the multiple realities, unique terminology and complexities of daily life across a vast continent of more than 50 nations. This publication painted a picture of an Africa that existed apart from its associations as a continent troubled by political turmoil, famine and disease. It was headquartered in Paris and sought to show an Africa that was serious and capable of being constructive.
L'Autre Afrique was thus characterised by rigorous investigation, in-depth analysis, detailed coverage and on-the-ground reportage. Placca also saw the newspaper as a pedagogical tool and called for African journalists to function as contributing agents to the growth of Africa.
L'Autre Afrique was distributed widely both in both Europe and Africa. In this way it took advantage of the mobility that the French communication and transport infrastructure provided to develop a global network of journalists, analysts and photographers. This network proved difficult to sustain as financial pressures forced L'Autre Afrique to close after only three years. In 2001 Placca resurrected it with a clearer financial structure. The first issue was published on 1 July 2001. In September 2001 the frequency switched to weekly. Despite this and better distribution systems this attempt also ultimately failed.
- Journalism, Media and the Challenge of Human Rights Reporting. ICHRP. 2002. p. 52. ISBN 978-2-940259-23-6. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "L'Autre Afrique". Chimurenga Library. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "L'autre Afrique ou l'Afrique autrement". Afrik (in French). 11 July 2001. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Le journal "L'Autre Afrique" à nouveau dans les kiosques". Pana Press (in French). Bordeaux. 17 July 2001. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "Quel Retour Pour L'autre Afrique? Entretien avec Jean-Baptiste Placca", Africultures.
- Jean-Baptiste Placca, "At the crossroads", Editorial, L'Autre Afrique, p. 104, 23 December–12 January 2000.