The old railway station
|Intercommunality||CC Ardennes Thiérache|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Miguel Leroy|
|8.19 km2 (3.16 sq mi)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||235–296 m (771–971 ft) |
(avg. 290 m or 950 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Auvillers-les-Forges is located some 27 km west by north-west of Charleville-Mézières and 22 km east by south-east of Hirson. Access to the commune is by the European route E44 from Maubert-Fontaine in the east which passes through the north of the commune intersecting the D877 in the commune and continuing to Hirson in the west. Access to the village is by the D877 from Éteignières in the north which passes through the length of the commune and the village and continues south to Champlin. The D20 goes south-east from the village to Girondelle. Apart from the village there is the hamlet of Le Chateau-Vert north-east of the village. There is a large forest in the north of the commune (the Bois d'Auviller-les-Forges) but the rest of the commune is farmland.
The Sormonne River flows through the commune from west to east just north of the village and continues east to join the Meuse at Charleville-Mézières. The Ruisseau de Saint-Rémy rises just west of the village and flows south-west to join the Orvaux east of Fontenelle.
Party per chevron, Gules with two fleurs-de-lis of Argent first, Azure a forge tongs of Or and a hammer the same saltirewise, tongs to dexter surmounted by hammer to sinister second; over all a chevron of Or.
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 897 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger communes that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
- Auvillers-les-Forges on Lion1906
- Auvillers-les-Forges on Google Maps
- Auvillers-les-Forges on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Auvillers-les-Forges on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Auvillers-les-Forges on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 Archived 6 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Auvillers-les-Forges.|