Avalanche Lake, Ooty
The Avalanche Lake
|Location||The Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu|
The lake derived the name avalanche because of a huge landslide (avalanche) that occurred in the region in the early 1800s.
Avalanchi Lake is an important tourism destination in the Nilgiris district. The lake is surrounded by a rolling landscape with blooming flowers like magnolias, orchids and rhododendrons. Tourists can traverse beside the lake through winding paths around the lake. Tourists visiting the lake can also engage themselves in Trout fishing. A trout hatchery is established near the lake, from where visitors can get fishing rods and other fishing accessories required for trout fishing. The lake is also used by tourists as a camp site wherein they pitch tents near the lake. Other tourist activities in the area include rafting across the lake and trekking the nearby hilly regions like Upper Bhavani where there are thick forests and untouched wild habitats.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avalanche Lake, Ooty.|
- Shaji, K A (18 February 2011). "Flowers in the window". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Avalanche Lake". traveldest.org. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Ayub, Akber (29 May 2011). "Footloose in the Nilgiris". The Hindu. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Fishing in the Nilgiris". tamilnadutourism.org. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "Peaks of pleasure". Daily News and Analysis. 6 December 2007. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Cycil, Chandrika (18 May 2002). "Adventure: Avalanche". The Hindu. Retrieved 30 September 2011.