Avenue Road, Bangalore
Avenue Road is one of the biggest commercial centres and busiest shopping areas of Bangalore, the state capital of Karnataka, India. It is located in Chickpet and runs through the heart of the city. It also connects the Mysore Road and K G Road in the city. It is in close proximity to Majestic bus station and Bangalore City Railway station.
Earlier, Avenue Road was known as Doddapete.
Avenue Road is known for its traditional trade in used books, garments and textiles, jewellery and pawn brokering.
Standing on Avenue Road, Bangalore Pete is also the Rice Memorial Church, Bangalore, named after Rev. Benjamin Holt Rice, a missionary of the London Missionary Society (LMS), a Canarese scholar and a pioneer of education in the Bangalore Pete region. The Church stands on the grounds of the London Mission Canarese Chapel which was established in 1834, by William Campbell.
- Hodder, Edwin (1890). Conquests of the Cross, A Record of Missionary Work throughout the World: Vol. 3: Special Edition. London: Cassell and Company Limited. p. 325. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Rice, Edward Peter (1890). Benjamin Rice or Fifty years in the Master's Service. Piccadilly: London Mission Religious Tract Society. p. 192. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- Bangalore | Bengaluru | Garden City | Bangalore Tourism | Silicon Valley Of India
- Bangalore - Information
- Rizvi, Aliyeh (27 February 2011). "A Walk Down Avenue Road". A Turquoise Cloud. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- Kumar, G S (12 February 2015). "A Parichay with Avenue Rd's heritage" (Bangalore). Times of India. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Benjamin Rice". Rices In India: A family devoted to India for 100 years. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- Gourley, B. "Daily Photo: Rice Memorial Church". Stories & Movement: The Sum of a Life. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Earlier known as Doddapete, Avenue Road could be as old as Bengaluru" (Bangalore). The Economic Times. ET Bureau. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- Thomas, Skye Arundhati (26 March 2017). "Prabhavathi Meppayil". Studio International. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
|This article related to a location in Bangalore Urban district, Karnataka, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|