The Avenues (shopping mall)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Address||10300 Southside Boulevard|
|Developer||CBL & Associates Properties|
|Management||Simon Property Group|
|Owner||Simon Property Group|
|No. of stores and services||150+|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|Total retail floor area||1,117,000 sq ft (103,800 m2)|
|No. of floors||2|
The Avenues is an indoor shopping mall located on the southside of Jacksonville, Florida at the intersection of U.S. 1 (Philips Highway) and Southside Boulevard near Interstate 95. The mall opened in 1990 with four anchor stores; Maison Blanche, Dillard's, JCPenney and Sears. Maison Blanche became Gayfers in 1992 which later became Belk in 1998. A Parisian department store was built in 1994, and this was likewise done a year later at Seminole Towne Center when the mall opened. The mall, owned by Simon Property Group, has two shopping levels and features a parking garage on the north side of the complex. Some of the 150 stores inside of the mall include: Aldo, H&M, LOFT, Brookstone, MAC, Jos. A. Bank, The Buckle, The Body Shop, and The Walking Company.
The mall is in the shape of an obtuse angle, similar to that of The Gardens Mall, which also is in Florida and is off I-95.
A major renovation in 2005 featured a new entrance with stained glass, neutral paint colors to complement Italian limestone on the ground floor, replacing restrooms, ceilings, lighting, benches, lounge chairs, modernizing the glass elevator, and a new children's play area. Nearly $10.5 million was spent and the changes were completed in April.
On August 2, 2006, Saks Incorporated announced an agreement to sell its Parisian specialty department store business to Belk, Inc. Shortly thereafter, the Avenues Parisian store was briefly closed and converted into the men's and children's store, with the women's departments staying in the existing store. This change was reverted in February 2010, when Belk consolidated all of its departments back into its original store.
On November 18, 2010 Forever 21 opened its doors in the location formerly occupied by the Parisian store. This is Forever 21's second largest location in the country and largest in the entire state of Florida, at 116,000 square feet (at the time, the space represented 8.8% of the mall's 1.1 million square feet). 
Current anchor stores
- Dillard's (210,104 sq ft.)
- Forever 21 (116,298 sq ft.)
- JCPenney (123,029 sq ft.)
- Sears (125,330 sq ft.)
- Belk (181,460 sq ft.)
Former anchor stores
- "About The Avenues". Simon Property Group. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- "The Avenues". Simon Property Group. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- Flaisig, Liz (March 4, 2004). "New retailers moving in to The Avenues". Jacksonville Business Journal.
- Flaisig, Liz (April 8, 2005). "Simon finishes $10 million renovation of The Avenues". Jacksonville Business Journal.
- "SAKS INCORPORATED AGREES TO SELL PARISIAN TO BELK, INC. FOR $285 MILLION" (Press release). Saks Incorporated. Aug 2, 2006.
- "Forever 21 leases 116,000 square feet at Avenues mall".
- "Forever 21 Opens 2nd Largest U.S. Store at Avenues Mall" (Press release). CoStar Group. November 24, 2010.