Averil Millicent Cameron
FSA FBA FRHistS
8 February 1940 |
Leek, Shropshire, England
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Institutions||King's College London|
Dame Averil Millicent Cameron, DBE, FBA FSA FRHistS (born 8 February 1940) was Professor of Late Antique and Byzantine History at the University of Oxford, and was formerly the Warden of Keble College, Oxford, between 1994 and 2010.
She was previously Professor of Ancient History (1978–89) and Professor of Late Antique and Byzantine Studies (1989–94) and Founding Director of the Centre for Hellenic Studies at King's College London. At Oxford, she was Chair of the Conference of Colleges and a Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Chair of the Committee on the Sackler Library and the Advisory Committee on Honorary Degrees and sat on committees for Conflict of Interest, Select Preachers, the Bampton Lectures and the Wainwright Fund. She is the Chair of a number of academic institutions, including the Oxford Centre for Byzantine Research, the Institute of Classical Studies Advisory Council, the Cathedrals Fabric Commission for England (1999–2005), and of the Prosopography of the Byzantine World.
Cameron has also acted as the President of multiple society including: The Ecclesiastical History Society (2005–06); Council for British Research in the Levant; The Fédération internationale des associations d'études classiques (2009–2014);
She is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, the British Academy, the Ecclesiastical History Society (from 2001), King's College London, the Royal Historical Society, and the Institute of Classical Studies, London.
Cameron was born in Leek, Staffordshire, the only child of working class parents. She read Literae Humaniores at Somerville College, Oxford and was married to Alan Cameron, with whom she has a son and a daughter.
- Agathias (Clarendon Press 1970), ISBN 0-19-814352-4
- Procopius and the Sixth Century (Duckworth 1985), ISBN 0-7156-1510-7
- Images of Women in Antiquity, ed. with Amélie Kurht (London: Duckworth, 1983, rev. 1993),
- History as Text, ed. (London: Duckworth, 1989)
- The Greek Renaissance in the Roman Empire, ed. with Susan Walker (London: 1989)
- Christianity and the Rhetoric of Empire: The Development of Christian Discourse (University of California Press 1991), ISBN 0-520-07160-3
- The Byzantine and Early Islamic Near East I: Problems in the Literary Sources, ed. with Lawrence I. Conrad (Princeton: Darwin Press, 1992)
- The Later Roman Empire, AD 284-430 (Fontana 1993), ISBN 0-00-686172-5
- The Byzantine and Early Islamic Near East II: Land Use and Settlement Patterns, ed. with G.R.D. King (Princeton: Darwin Press, 1994)
- The Byzantine and Early Islamic Near East III: States, Resources and Armies, ed. (Princeton: Darwin Press, 1995)
- The Mediterranean World in Late Antiquity, AD 395-600 (London: Routledge 1993), ISBN 0-415-01420-4; rev/ and expanded ed. (London: Routledge, 2011)
- Images of Women in Antiquity (rev. ed., Routledge 1993), ISBN 0-415-09095-4 (ed. with Amélie Kuhrt)
- Eusebius, Life of Constantine, trans. and commentary, with S.G. Hall (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1999)
- Fifty Years of Prosopography, ed., Publications of the British Academy (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003)
- The Cambridge Ancient History
- Vol. 12: The Crisis of Empire, AD 193-337 (Cambridge University Press 2005), ISBN 0-521-30199-8 (2nd ed., ed. with Alan K. Bowman and Peter Garnsey)
- Vol. 13: The Late Empire, AD 337-425 (Cambridge University Press 1998), ISBN 0-521-30200-5 (ed. with Peter Garnsey)
- Vol. 14: Late Antiquity: Empires and Successors, AD 425-600 (Cambridge University Press 2000), ISBN 0-521-32591-9 (ed. with Bryan Ward-Perkins and Michael Whitby)
- Doctrine and Debate in Eastern Christianity, 300-1500, ed. with Robert Hoyland (Farnham: Ashgate, 2011)
- Late Antiquity on the Eve of Islam, The Formation of the Islamic World, ed. (Farnham: Ashgate, 2013)
- The Byzantines (Oxford: Blackwell 2006), ISBN 0-631-20262-5
- Dialoguing in Late Antiquity (Cambridge, MA:: Ashgate Harvard University Press, 2014)
- Byzantine Matters (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2014)
- Arguing it Out: Discussion in Twelfth-Century Byzantium (Central European University Press, 2016)
- Dialogues and Debates from Late Antiquity to Late Byzantium, ed. with Niels Gaul (Milton Park: Routledge, 2017)
- "New Year Honours". Times. 6 January 2006. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- Donald MacLeod and Polly Curtis (31 December 2005). "Voices of education win New Year honours". Guardian. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- Averil Cameron (28 October 1994). "Past Masters". The Times. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- "Sir Jonathan Phillips elected new Warden of Keble". Keble College, Oxford. 11 October 2009. Archived from the original on 14 November 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Appointments". The Church Times. 29 July 2005. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Past Presidents of the EHS | Ecclesiastical History Society". www.history.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- "Averil Cameron - Classics". www.classics.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- Lynne Williams (2 August 1996). "Honorary Degrees". Times. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- edited by Harriet Swain and researched by Lynne Williams (25 September 1998). "Glittering prizes". Times. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Fellows | Ecclesiastical History Society". www.history.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-01-23.