- Not to be confused with Alvesta in Kronoberg County, Sweden.
Avesta in October 2010
|• Total||13.91 km2 (5.37 sq mi)|
|Elevation||89 m (292 ft)|
|Population (31 December 2015)|
|• Density||1,109/km2 (2,870/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||774 xx|
|Area code(s)||(+46) 226|
The name is first found in 1303 as "Aghastadhum". Aghe is of similar origin as the word å, meaning stream, in this case the Avestafors, a tributary of the river Dalälven. Stadhum was dative plural of a word of similar origin as stead, or farm.
The town Avesta received partial privileges in 1641 as a town under the city of Falun, and in 1644 a copper mint was built. However, the privileges were withdrawn in 1688 due to complaints of competition from its neighbour, mainly Falun. Copper coins were continued to be minted until 1831, and the copper works was in function until 1869.
The town is located by the Dalecarlia River (Dalälven).
The following sports clubs are located in Avesta:
- Retired NHL defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom
- Tony Rickardsson
- Professional Counter-Strike Player Jesper "JW" Wecksell
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avesta (locality).|
- "Tätorternas landareal, folkmängd och invånare per km2 2015" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 16 February 2016. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "JW - Liquipedia Counter-Strike Wiki". wiki.teamliquid.net. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
|KML file (edit • help)|
|This article about a location in Dalarna County, Sweden is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|