|United States, Israel|
The Avi Chai Foundation is a private foundation endowed in 1984 by Zalman Bernstein, a well-known successful investor and founder of Sanford Bernstein. Zalman Bernstein became a Modern Orthodox Baal teshuva (a returnee to Orthodox observance) who wished to further the cause of outreach to alienated and assimilated Jews worldwide. Avi Chai allocates resources in the United States and in Israel. Until 2003, Avi Chai functioned in Russia and other former Soviet Union countries.
Established by the AVI CHAI Foundation in 2007, Beit Avi Chai is housed, purpose-built facility located at 44 King George Street in Jerusalem, Israel and serves as a hub for the creation, development and expression of Jewish texts and ideas.
Avi Chai's Board has included :
- Mem D. Bernstein, Chairman of the Board
- Arthur W. Fried
- Samuel "Buddy" Silberman (Trustee Emeritus)
- Dr. Meir Buzaglo
- Lauren K. Merkin
- Henry Taub (Trustee Emeritus, died 2011)
- Dr. Avital Darmon
- George Rohr
- Dr. Ruth Wisse
- Alan R. Feld, Senior Managing Director of Sanford Bernstein’s private client business.
- Lief D. Rosenblatt
- "The Avi Chai Foundation" (PDF). Foundation Center. 22 November 2016. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Snyder, Tamar (November 2, 2010). "Avi Chai's Last Will And Testament?". The New York Jewish Week. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- Beit Avi Chai Official website
- "People | the AVI CHAI Foundation".
- "Mem Bernstein: "Passing the Baton" | the AVI CHAI Foundation".
- "Alan Feld » AVI CHAI". Archived from the original on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-07-04.