Avianca Flight 011
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
HK-2910X, the aircraft involved in the accident at Madrid Barajas Airport in August 1983.
|Date||27 November 1983|
|Summary||Pilot and navigation error leading to Controlled flight into terrain|
|Site||Mejorada del Campo, Madrid, Spain|
|Injuries (non-fatal)||8|
|Aircraft type||Boeing 747-283B|
|Flight origin||Frankfurt Airport
Frankfurt, West Germany
|2nd stopover||Charles de Gaulle Airport
|3rd stopover||Madrid Barajas Int'l Airport
|4th stopover||Simón Bolívar Int'l Airport
|Destination||El Dorado International Airport
Avianca Flight 011, registration HK-2910X (formerly LN-RNA), was a Boeing 747-283B on an international scheduled passenger flight from Frankfurt via Paris, Madrid, and Caracas to Bogotá that crashed on 27 November 1983.
The Frankfurt-Paris segment on this day had been cancelled by Avianca. As a result, the passengers who were to board Avianca flight 011 in Frankfurt had been placed on a Lufthansa flight to Paris. Because they had to wait for these passengers to land, the flight was delayed departing Paris. At 23:31 the airplane started descent to Madrid-Barajas Airport. During the descent, the airplane touched a hill, then a second one, before hitting the ground and disintegrating. All 19 crew members, as well as 162 out of 173 passengers, were killed. The cause of the accident was judged to be pilot error, having incorrectly determined the position of the plane. As of 2013, Avianca Flight 011 remains the second-deadliest aviation accident in Spanish territory behind the Tenerife airport disaster. Today, Avianca still operates Flight 011, a daily flight from Madrid to Bogota, using a Boeing 787–8.
Notable people killed
- Jorge Ibargüengoitia – Mexican novelist;
- Ángel Rama – Uruguayan writer, academic, and literary critic;
- Manuel Scorza – Peruvian novelist, poet, and political activist;
- Marta Traba – Argentine writer and art critic;
- Rosa Sabater – Spanish pianist.
- Japan Airlines Flight 123
- Korean Air Flight 801
- American Airlines Flight 965
- Air Inter Flight 148
- List of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft
- Prinair Flight 277
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "176 Are Believed Killed in Crash Of 747 Jet Near Madrid's Airport: Airliner Crashes Near Madrid". The New York Times (Vol. 133, No. 45,875). NYTimesCo. Reuters. November 27, 1983. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "Death Toll in the Crash of 747 Jet Near Madrid Airport Rises to 183". The New York Times (Vol. 133, No. 45,876). NYTimesCo. Associated Press. November 28, 1983. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
|Pre-Crash photos of HK-2910 at Airliners.net|
|Photo of the crashed airliner from AirDisaster.com|
- Report from the Ministry of Infrastructures, Spain – Civil Aviation Accident and Incident Investigation Commission (in Spanish).
- Transcript of the cockpit voice recorder (CVR)
- Accident description at the Aviation Safety Network