Aviano Middle/High School
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Aviano American High School|
|School district||DoDDS Mediterranean District|
|Principal||Mr. Kenneth Harvey|
|Color(s)||Red and blue|
The school is at the foot of the Italian Dolomites
Aviano American High School (also referred to as Aviano Middle/High School) is a Department of Defense Education Activity secondary school located on the Italian owned NATO Air Base in Aviano, Italy which hosts the 31st Fighter Wing. The majority of students are dependents of active duty military personnel, DoD employees, contractors and diplomats, although a small percentage are children of other English speaking expatriates or local Italian residents.
As of the 2008-2009 school year Aviano Middle School and Aviano High School were joined into one school serving grades 6-12. It is classified as a Division II school in DoDDS Europe. In the past, Aviano Middle/High School has been mostly recognized throughout American schools in Europe for their high test scores, European/ASIL (American International Schools Italian League) championship titles, and Air Force JROTC unit.
The school's mascot is the saint.
The athletic program at Aviano Middle/High School is open to high school students and some middle school students. Competitions take place throughout the year in the DoDDS Europe Division II league as well as the American International Schools Italian League. Athletes follow the DoDDS Europe athletic code.
Clubs, organizations, and events exist for students to join or take part in:
- Academic Bowl
- Air Force JROTC (offered as a class)
- Air Force JROTC Drill Team
- Book Club
- Cisco (offered as a class)
- Creative Connections
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
- Future Educators Association (FEA)
- Future Educators Association Honor Society (must be selected to join)
- Hinterbrand outdoors club
- International Leadership Institute (ISLI)
- Lingua Fest Language Festival
- Math Counts
- Model U.S. Senate
- National Honors Society (must be selected to join)
- National Junior Honor Society (must be selected to join)
- Peer Mediation
- Robotics Club
- Student 2 Student
- Student newspaper (offered as a class)
- Yearbook (offered as a class)
The purpose of the student government at Aviano is to provide everyone with a chance to have a say in what goes on in the student body. The student government acts as advocates to the administration on behalf of students. They also organize school events such as pep rallies and dances. Each office is headed by a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and a Public Relations officer.
- Executive Office - Serves as main advocates for the school, handles school wide issues. Officers are elected by the students.
- Senior Class - Handles senior issues and events including graduation. Officers are elected by 12th grade students
- Junior Class - Organizes the Junior and Senior Prom, handles Junior issues, officers are elected by 11th grade students
- Sophomore Class - Handles Sophomore issues, officers are elected by 10th grade students
- Freshmen Class - Handles Freshmen issues, officers are elected by 9th grade students
Advanced/Accelerated and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses
Aviano Middle/High School offers Honors and Advanced Placement (AP) courses for high school students.
- IB courses are available and offered online
The Honors World Literature and History classes are combined classes. Students who take one must take the other and receive a joint performance grade that is averaged together.
The AP classes are weighted grades on a student's GPA.
- Vicenza American High School
- Naples American High School
- American Overseas School of Rome
- Marymount International School of Rome
- American School of Milan
- Aviano Air Base
- Military brats
- DODDS European Championships
- List of high schools in U.S. territories