|Born||15 August 1985|
Gopalganj, Bihar, India
|Alma mater||New York Film Academy|
Avinash Tiwary (born 15 August 1985) is an Indian actor who works in Hindi films. He rose to prominence in 2018 with the leading role in the romantic movie Laila Majnu by Sajid Ali and Imitiaz Ali.
He has received critical acclaim for his recent performance in Bulbbul (Netflix movie, 2020) in the role of Satya.
He completed school and engineering in Mumbai. In order to pursue acting, he quit engineering studies in the fourth semester and joined theater. He joined Barry John's acting studio and later went to New York Film Academy.
In theater, he worked with Om Katare, an established artist. After his stint at the New York Film Academy, he started his career with the documentary, Anamika: Her Glorious Past, in 2006. In 2014, he worked alongside Amitabh Bachchan in the TV series Yudh, where he played the role of the villain, Ajat Shatru.
Avinash made his Bollywood debut with Milind Dhaimade's directorial debut, Tu Hai Mera Sunday (2016) co-starring Barun Sobti and Shahana Goswami, which revolves around the lives of five friends. The film had its world premiere at the 60th BFI London Film Festival and received positive critical acclaim.
In 2017, Avinash signed Imtiaz Ali's romantic movie, Laila Majnu, after auditioning for it in December 2015. He took on the lead role of Qais/Majnu in the movie which tells the classic love story of Laila and Majnu but set in contemporary times. It is directed by Sajid Ali and bankrolled by Ekta kapoor. He underwent major physical transformation for the role and received critical acclaim for his natural performance as Majnu.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2017||Tu Hai Mera Sunday||Rashid||Hindi|||
|2018||Laila Majnu||Qais/ Majnu||Hindi|||
|2020||Ghost Stories||Dhruv||Hindi||Karan Johar segment|
|The Girl on the Train||TBA||Hindi||Filming|||
- "Laila Majnu movie review: All you need is love". Hindustan Times. 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "'I want to make Majnu aspirational': Avinash Tiwari on playing a reckless lover in 'Laila Majnu'". DNA India. 30 August 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- 6 Sep, Firstpost •; Ist, 2018 08:43. "Avinash Tiwary on playing Imtiaz Ali's Majnu: It's like love in the times of Tinder and hashtag - Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. Retrieved 8 March 2019.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Avinash Tiwary hits Big B on his head - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Tu Hai Mera Sunday Movie Review: Barun Sobti Stars in the Year's Nicest Film". NDTV.com. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Tu Hai Mera Sunday: Tu Hai Mera Sunday brings back happy, slice-of-life storytelling - Mumbai Mirror". mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Avinash Tiwary's shocking transformation! - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Laila Majnu movie review: All you need is love". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Laila Majnu is redeemed by a brilliant second-half (Review)". Business Standard. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Avinash Tiwary: "I have been privileged not to be a victim of the casting couch."". msn.com. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "'Tu Hai Mera Sunday' review: Gem of a film". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 24 July 2019.
- "Avinash Tiwary on playing Imtiaz Ali's Majnu: It's like love in the times of Tinder and hashtag- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 6 September 2018. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Hungama, Bollywood (29 June 2019). "SCOOP! Laila Majnu lead cast Avinash Tiwary and Tripti Dimri to feature in Netflix horror project Bulbul produced by Anushka Sharma! | Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama". Retrieved 24 July 2019.
- Hungama, Bollywood (17 June 2019). "Laila Majnu actor Avinash Tiwary to play the male lead in the Parineeti Chopra starrer The Girl on the Train remake | Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama". Retrieved 24 July 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avinash Tiwary.|