This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Jeff Clyman, Founder |
Marc Ecko, Owner
Avirex is an American company that designs, manufactures and markets clothing lines. It was founded by Jeff Clyman in 1975 as a brand for military apparel. Contrary to popular belief, Avirex was not a U.S. military supplier during World War II. In 1987 the company worked on re-issuing of A-2 jacket for the United States Air Force.
In 2006, Jeff Clyman sold the Avirex brand and trademark as well as the Avirex sportswear and hip-hop fashion lines in Europe, Japan, and the United States. The new owner of the Avirex brand in the United States is Eckō Unltd.
Jeff Clyman founded a new company for military apparel called Cockpit USA.
In popular culture and media
- James LaBrie, lead singer for The prog-rock supergroup, Dream Theater, can be seen wearing an Avirex jacket and T-shirt on the group's double DVD release; Live at Luna Park
- Friend of SL2 and MC Jay J wore Avirex leather jackets during performances with the band in the early 90's. One notable appearance of such was on Top of the Pops in December 1991 MC'ing on SL2's #11 hit "DJ's Take Control".
- The East Staines Massiv in the 2002 movie Ali G Indahouse wear Avirex Jackets.
- Various members of the group Blazin' Squad wear Avirex clothing.
- Tim Robbins wears an Avirex jacket in the 1990 movie Cadillac Man
- In the song entitled "Some L.A. Niggaz," Rapper Xzibit uses Avirex in his lyric seemingly to show that he wears Avirex Clothing.
- In the British sitcom 2point4 Children, Gary Olsen played a character called Ben Porter who wore an Avirex leather jacket in most episodes with in the 8 series.
- In the Polish film Pigs (about polish secret police in transformation era) Bogusław Linda played a character called Franz Maurer who wore an Avirex g1.
- "Avirex" is the title of a Mobb Deep song from mid 90s, in which rapper Prodigy raps about this brand of leather jackets.
- Country music star Tim McGraw's character in the video for his song "Indian Outlaw" wears an Avirex leather jacket.
- The character MC Grindah in the BBC3 mockumentary People Just Do Nothing wears an Avirex. In 'The Godfather' (Series 2, Episode 1) Grindah wears an Avirex to his daughter Angel's christening. The brand is also mentioned in the lyrics of the Kurupt.fm song 'A Dis One'.
- London based rappers Fekky, Chip and MC Nutrino release the track 'Avirex' in 2017 showcasing a range of classic Avirex jackets popular in UK street culture throughout the 90's.
- The character Bodie Broadus in The Wire wears an Avirex jacket in season 3.
- In the music video for the 2017 song entitled "On My Mind" by Jorja Smith and Preditah, Smith wears an Avirex jacket for the duration of the video.
- RIN, a successful German trap/hip-hop artist, released a song called Avirex.
|This clothing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|