Avis Budget Group
|Traded as||NASDAQ: CAR|
S&P 400 Component
|Industry||Rental & leasing services|
|Founder||Henry Silverman, Warren Avis, Julius Lederer|
|Headquarters||Parsippany, New Jersey, United States|
|Revenue||US$ 8.66 billion (2016)|
|US$ 509 million (2016)|
|US$ 163 million (2016)|
|Total assets||US$ 17.64 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||US$ 221 million (2016)|
Number of employees
|26,300  (2017)|
Avis Budget Group, Inc. is the American parent company of Avis Car Rental, Budget Car Rental, Budget Truck Rental, Payless Car Rental, Apex Car Rentals, Maggiore Group and Zipcar. The company's headquarters are located in Parsippany, New Jersey, United States.
Following the decision to dissolve the Cendant company name and split into four separate companies, the vehicle rental division of Cendant became Avis Budget Group in 2006. At the end of 2008, Avis Budget became the first vehicle rental company to begin deployment of RFID transponders in their fleet using a product from TransCore which includes an active RFID tag that can work with nearly all electronic toll collections systems in the United States, including E-ZPass in the Northeast, TxTag (Texas) and SunPass (Florida).
On September 5, 2012, Avis Budget Group acquired Apex Car Rentals of New Zealand.
On 14 March 2013 Avis Budget Group purchased Zipcar for about US$500 million in cash. Zipcar now operates as a subsidiary of Avis Budget Group. Scott Griffith, who had run the company for the previous 10 years, resigned the day after the acquisition closed, and passed the reins to a new company President, Mark Norman.
- "US SEC: Form 10-K Avis Budget Group". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- "Avis Budget Group". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Christian Stoyanov. "Avis Budget Group: A Time For Transformation". Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Cendant cutting hotels, strikes deal for Budget". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Avis Budget Group Enters Agreement to Acquire Apex Car Rentals of New Zealand". Auto Rental News. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Chelsey Dulaney. "Avis Budget to Buy Italy's Maggiore Group for $170 Million". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Avis Budget to buy Zipcar for $500 mln". Reuters. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Avis Beats on Better Travel Trends". Zacks Investment Research. May 4, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Cendant to become Avis. Budget". Pacific Business News. August 29, 2006. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Avis Budget Group Plans to Put Interoperable Toll Transponders on the Road". RFID Journal. December 23, 2008. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-05-18. Retrieved 2015-05-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Rebecca Greenfield (2013-03-15). "Uh Oh, ZipCar's CEO Stepped Down Right After Its Merger with Avis". theatlanticwire.com.
- Emily Bader (9 April 2015). "Avis completes $160M acquisition of Italian vehicle rental business". NJBIZ.
In popular culture
- Official website
- Business data for Avis Budget Group:
|This article about a corporation in the service industry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|