|Lt. Col. (res.) Avital Leibovich
Avital Leibovich, 2014
October 18, 1971 |
Tel Aviv, Israel
|Service/branch||Israel Defense Forces|
|Years of service||1989 – March 31, 2014 (Entered IDF Reserves)|
|Unit||IDF Spokesperson's Unit|
|Commands held||IDF Spokesperson's Unit Interactive Media Branch|
|Battles/wars||First Intifada, Second Intifada, 2006 Lebanon War, Operation Cast Lead, Operation Pillar of Defense|
|Other work||Director of AJC Israel - Middle East Headquarters|
Leibovich graduated with a BA in English Literature and Political Science from Bar Ilan University in 1992, and received a MA in International Relations from University of Haifa in 1998; she also received a diploma in Spokesmanship, Communications, and Public Relations from the Department of Foreign Affairs at Bar Ilan University in 2002.
Career Prior to AJC
Leibovich served for 22 years in the Israel Defense Forces, achieving the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, and holding a wide range of senior media and public relations positions within the Defense Forces.
Her most recent role was Head of the Interactive Media Branch of the IDF Spokesperson's Unit, a branch which she created as a response to the growing importance of social networks and internet platforms as media.
Leibovich also held the position of Head of the Foreign Press Branch, acquiring over seven years of expertise working with Foreign Media, and establishing strong connections between the IDF and more traditional International Media in many languages.
- Israel Defense Forces
- IDF Spokesperson's Unit
- State of Israel
- American Jewish Committee
- Military of Israel
- Nonprofit woman executives
- "Avital Leibovich, ex-IDF Spokeswoman Named Head of AJC Jerusalem Office".
- "Avital Leibovich Named Head of AJC Israel/Middle East Office".
- "Avital Leibovich, ex-IDF Spokeswoman Named Head of AJC Jerusalem Office". The Forward.
- "New Head of AJC Jerusalem Office Appointed". Jerusalem Post.
- "New commanders for Interactive Media, Foreign Press units".
- "Tweet Offensive: Social Media Is Israeli Military's Newest Weapon".
- "Going on the Digital Offensive".
- "Israel Launches Information War against Hizbullah".
- "Lt. Col. Avital Leibovich: "We cannot afford to outsource Israel’s security to the international community"".
- "IDF Begins Speaking Spanish".