Avni Institute of Art and Design
The school was established in 1936 as the Studia by a group of Jewish artists. Among these founders was Aharon Avni, who became the first school director. After Avni's death the school was renamed the Avni Institute.
In addition to an Avni graduate degree in several art and design branches, as well as in architecture, students at the school can receive a Bachelor of Arts degree in collaboration with the Open University of Israel.
The Avni Institute occupies several buildings along the Eilat Road in South Tel Aviv. The buildings are named after notable teachers at the school who have died. The school includes a large gallery space where students exhibit their works. Around the school developed a major Israeli cluster of arts supplies businesses.
Notable faculty and alumni
- Tuvia Beeri
- Bianca Eshel Gershuni (also an alum)
- Pinchas Cohen Gan
- Jan Rauchwerger (also an alum)
- Moshe Sternschuss
- Yehezkel Streichman (1906-93), painter
- Avigdor Stematsky (1908-89), painter
- Yigal Tumarkin
- Zvi Lachman
- Benni Efrat
- Daniel Enkaoua
- Gideon Gechtman
- Moshe Gershuni
- Moses Hacmon
- Zvi Hecker
- Menashe Kadishman
- Ram Karmi
- David Leviathan
- Ofer Lellouche
- Isaac Maimon
- Yehuda Neiman
- Avi Schwartz
- Siona Shimshi (born 1939), painter, sculptor, ceramist, and textile designer
- Itzchak Tarkay
- Yona Wallach
- Boaz Vaadia
- Elisha Ben Yitzhak
- De La Fuente S: "Black and white in color." Jerusalem Post 30 May 2007. Accessed 2008-11-30.
- Ronnen M: "Hand (and mind) of a master." Jerusalem Post 20 February 2004: 36. Partially accessed 2008-11-30.
- "Smart Publishing signs Isaac Maimon." Art Business News 1 July 2001. Partially accessed 2008-11-30.
- Avni homepage (in Hebrew)