Avnita Bir at LearnShift India, 2012
|Born||31 October 1957 (age 61)|
|Alma mater||Lady Shri Ram College for Women|
Delhi School of Economics
|Occupation||Principal of R. N. Podar School|
|Board member of||Governing Board, CBSE|
|Children||Karan Bir |
|Awards||National Award for Teachers (India)(2009) Koh Boon Hwee Scholars Award (Inspirational Mentorship)(2013)|
Avnita Bir is an economist and the Director-Principal of the R. N. Podar School  in Mumbai. She has worked in the Indian education system for more than 15 years, and she was a curator for Learn Shift India 2012, a conference held at Delhi, which was aimed at exchanging ideas on transforming Indian education. In the early years of her career, she was appointed to give special lessons in Economics to the children (Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Vadra) of the late Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi.
Bir was born in Amritsar. She graduated from Lady Shri Ram College for Women before moving to the Delhi school of economics to obtain her post graduate education in economics. She also passed the UGC (NET) examination for professorship in economics. She also took part in many conferences and workshops related to teaching and learning, at places including Harvard Graduate school of economics and IIM - Ahmedabad.
She has worked with some of the most well-known educational institutions of India, including Mallya Aditi International School, Hyderabad Public School and several others, as head of the department and as a coordinator, before joining Podar as a principal.
She has won awards including the EQFI India Education Awards 2008 for Excellence in Education from the Education Quality Foundation of India and Educational Leadership Award in 2011 by ICS. She has been a member on the board of education reforms committee of Kapil Sibal and later, had been appointed as a member of the governing body of CBSE India. She was featured in newspapers, magazines, and bulletins conducted by news channels like NDTV which concentrated on education and other issues related to students. She has been selected for Kon Boon Hwee Scholars award (2013) for the inspirational mentorship she has offered. Additionally she is one among the 80 outstanding educators selected by Microsoft for their Mentor School program, which was held at Barcelona. FICCI FLO conferred on her the Outstanding Woman Achiever Award in the year of 2014 for her contributions in the field of education. She was a presenter and a co-panelist, representing India at Google Education Symposium organised at Mountain View, California, November 2014.
At around the same time, this year, 2016, acknowledging the pivotal role she played in the fields of Technology and Education, she has been appointed as a member in the advisory board of Google's Global.Edu, a global initiative to bring on-board various leaders, educators, teachers and students for transforming the education.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-03. Retrieved 2013-03-13.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2013-11-16.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-30. Retrieved 2014-05-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- http://jaipur.patrika.com/featured/women-achievers-talk-of-grit-empowerment-passion-and-commitment/[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-04. Retrieved 2014-12-02.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-11-19. Retrieved 2015-11-18.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)