|Place of origin||Unknown Likely Mexico|
|Serving temperature||Hot or cold|
|Ingredients generally used||Milk, cream, stock, citrus juice|
Avocado soup is a fruit soup prepared using avocados as a primary ingredient. Ingredients used in its preparation in addition to ripe avocados can include milk, cream, half-and-half or buttermilk, soup stock or broth, water, lime juice, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Additional ingredients used can include onions, shallots, garlic, hot sauce, cilantro, red pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin, and water can be used to thin the soup. It is enjoyed widely in areas of Mexico as a classic dish.
The avocados are typically puréed or mashed, and sliced, diced or cubed avocado can be used as a garnish. Additional garnishes can include sliced lime, sour cream, chives, crab meat, shrimp and salsa fresca. It can be prepared and served as a cold or hot soup.
Avocado soup's color can change as time passes because oxidation causes avocados to brown, but this does not affect the soup's flavor. It can be a relatively easy dish to prepare that does not require a great deal of time.
- Sackett, L.; Pestka, J.; Gisslen, W. (2010). Professional Garde Manger: A Comprehensive Guide to Cold Food Preparation. John Wiley & Sons. p. 298. ISBN 978-0-470-17996-3.
- Rombauer, I.S.; Becker, M.R.; Becker, E.; Guarnaschelli, M. (1997). JOC All New Rev. - 1997. Scribner. p. 95. ISBN 978-0-684-81870-2.
- Sandler, B. (1970). The African Cookbook. Carol Publishing Group. p. 146. ISBN 978-0-8065-1398-0.
- Ried, Adam (August 2, 2015). "Summery recipes for chilled avocado soup". The Boston Globe. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
- Devi, Yamuna (August 1988). "To India". Vegetarian Times. No. 132. p. 36.
- "Chilled avocado soup with grilled corn". Gourmet Traveller. February 14, 2017. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
- "10 Things You Should Eat: Avocado Soup". ABC News. April 10, 2015. Retrieved April 19, 2017.[dead link]
- Sellick, W. (2010). The Imperial African Cookery Book: Recipes from English-speaking Africa. Jeppestown Press. p. 110. ISBN 978-0-9553936-8-6.
- Soup for All Seasons. Yes International Publishers. 2009. p. 94. ISBN 978-0-936663-49-4.
- Bittman, Mark (June 4, 2014). "Ultrafast Avocado Soup Recipe". NYT Cooking. Retrieved April 19, 2017.